SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alicesrestaurant

RECIPE: slab of baked tofu sandwiches - surprisingly good

alicesRestaurant
18 years ago

This was so good, I wanted to share. I had heard from numerous vegetarians about baking slabs of tofu but just didn't sound that appetizing. But when I found a recipe for this on the www.eatingwell.com website, thought I'd try it.

Below is kind of an adaptation of what I found. Basically my point here is that if you cut the block of firm tofu into 8 slices, spread sauce (probably almost any sauce) on one side, then spread on the other side and place on baking sheet. I used parchment to keep from sticking.

These are great right out of the oven but also, they are good cold the next day. Make just a regular sandwich with lettuce and tomato or use pickles or whatever. So simple and a nice bit of protein. (I'm wondering if these will freeze, do ya think?)

Ingredients

2 tablespoons Dijon mustard

2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce

2 teaspoons barbeque sauce, or anything that is zesty, maybe picante sauce would be good to try or spaghetti sauce.

14 ounces water-packed extra-firm tofu, drained and rinsed

1. Preheat oven to 475°F. (450 if your oven is convection). Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. (I used parchment)

2. Combine mustard, soy sauce and barbeque sauce in a small bowl. Slice tofu crosswise into eight 1/2-inch-thick pieces. Pat dry with a paper towel and place on the prepared baking sheet. Using a spoon, spread half the mustard mixture on one side of the tofu. Turn the slices over and spread the remaining mixture on the other side. (Alternative method which I used was to dry each slice with a paper towel, then dip the slice in the bowl, front and back and then lay on baking sheet.)

3. Bake the tofu for 20 minutes. (I cooked using convection mode at 450 degrees for 20 minutes)

Comments (12)