SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
llhilly

Your tastiest recipes, regardless of complexity/difficulty

pudgybaby
13 years ago

Hi all. This is my first post on this forum, but I post on a couple of the others infrequently.

I am wondering if you would share your tastiest recipes, in any category (main dish, appetizer, dessert, whatever). I do not care if these recipes are difficult or have a daunting list of ingredients. And I am NOT looking for your easy recipes, unless they are also your tastiest. I am just in search of some delicious food!

Admittedly, I am not an accomplished cook, but I will share some of my tastiest recipes anyway.

My family loves these skirt steak tacos with black bean salsa. They are a dish that Susan Feniger made on Top Chef Masters, Season 2, Episode 7. We think the salsa is well worth the effort. I got the recipe by watching the video of Kevin Gillespie demonstrating how to make it. There is also a printed version of the recipe at the Bravo website, but the proportions are quite different. I serve it with the usual stuff (tortillas, guac, sour cream, cheese, etc) and another favorite, Woodie's Mexican Black Beans.

Skirt Steak

Marinade:

1 bunch cilantro

juice of 3 limes

1/2 ounce toasted cumin seeds

1 serrano chili, more or less to taste

1/2 cup olive oil

salt to taste (video doesn't include salt)

Blend all ingredients

1 lb. skirt steak, sliced in thin slabs.

Marinate steak for two hours or more.

Grill to rare and slice against the grain into strips.

Black Bean Salsa (this is 1/2 recipe from what Kevin makes in the video. I make a 1/2 recipe, and it is plenty for us)

1/2 can rinsed black beans

1 to 1.5 ears roasted corn

1/2 bunch green onion, sliced thin, just the green part

1 roasted red bell pepper, diced

1 roasted poblano chili, diced

1 Tbsp red wine vinegar

(the video adds 2 Tbsp olive oil - I don't)

Salt and pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Chill.

Next recipe. You all probably have something similar that you like, but my family loves this Grilled Marinated Shrimp recipe from allrecipes.com. We grill it with fresh pineapple, red bell peppers, and onions. Based on the recipe comments, I have made a few adaptations: reduce the olive oil to 1/2 cup, replace the 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley with a mix of chopped fresh parsley and basil, include the zest of the lemon, and use ketchup for the tomato paste.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Grilled-Marinated-Shrimp/Detail.aspx

Last recipe: When strawberries are in season, these are yummy and look beautiful, too. This is in the brunch section of the book, but I have been known to bring it as an appetizer when small kids will be present. The directions might be hard to visualize.

Strawberries with Lemon Cream

Source: Colorado Collage, copyright 1995

(this is one of the Jr. League cookbooks)

1 8 oz pkg cream cheese, softened

1/3 cup powdered sugar

2 tsp finely grated lemon zest

1.5 Tbsp fresh lemon juice

2 pints large, well-shaped, fresh strawberries

Mix cream cheese, powdered sugar, lemon zest, and lemon juice until smooth with electric mixer or food processor.

Cut stems from strawberries leaving a flat surface. Place on tray, cut side down. Cut a V-shaped pocket in the pointed end of each berry, cutting about 2/3 of the way through to the bottom. Remove the V-shaped slice. Pipe cream cheese mixture into the V using a pastry bag with a star tip, filling the 'pocket' so that the cheese mixture comes out the top. It may be easier if you chill the cream cheese mixture first, but I never leave time for that.

That's it from me. I am looking forward to your tastiest recipes! TIA

Comments (26)