SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Happy Day! Bought freezer, now to organize!?!

Lars
10 years ago

I think I'm over whatever I had the past three days because my energy started to come back this morning - enough for me to make a big batch of cornmeal pancakes. Then we went to the Orchid & Bromeliad shop across Culver Blvd from Sony in Culver City because Kevin wanted to look at bromeliads. He bought a very nice one for $7.50 and we decided to forego the $300 one that we both loved. Some of the fragrant orchids were making me sneeze, and Kevin thought that I had a cold, but I still continued to feel better, especially when I got away from the orchids. I really wanted to buy one of the fragrant Paphiopedilum orchids, but I was too buy sneezing.

From there we went to Living Green, down the street, which I thought was going to be a food market but turned out to be a home furnishings store, but I chatted with the store owner for some time - until more customers came in - and then we went to Best Buy in Culver Center to look at freezers. We were not planning to buy one today and had planned to go to the Lebanese market down the street right afterwards to get the rest of the ingredients I needed for falafel, but we happened to find a great deal on a Whirlpool freezer floor model. It was model #EV181NZTQ, and is 17.7 cubic feet (larger than the 15.8 that I was considering earlier), and has five shelves, two wire baskets, and about eight door compartments, each of which is half the width of the door, making them more adjustable.

Anyway, the floor model was marked down from the list price of $799 to $710 for being a floor model. A salesman came up to talk with me about it, and he told me that they normally do not stock these items, but it had been returned/rejected by a customer and therefore was marked down. I had a chance to look at the two chest freezers they had, and one look at them convinced me that they were not what I wanted. They were deeper than our hot tub, and now I know why my mother called hers a "deep freeze" - they were certainly very deep! When I was about seven, I found an envelope with 100 dollar bills in it that my mother had put there for safe keeping, which helped me understand the meaning of "cold cash".

But back to the upright freezer - I noticed that the printout on the front said that there were dents on each side, and when I examined the left side, I noticed some very minor dents, but when I looked at the right side, I saw some serious multiple dents - nothing large or deep enough to cause functional damage, but certainly enough to make major cosmetic flaws. Since I planned to keep it in the garage, I thought I could live with that - especially since there were none on the front, but I got the salesman to negotiate a larger discount for me, based on the cosmetic defects. This got the price down to $599, and when I told him that we would carry it out ourselves, we got another $50 discount, bringing the final price down to $549 - $250 below list price. That was an offer I could not refuse, even though I had read no reviews of this particular model. I felt comfortable with the brand, and I really liked the extra shelves and bins, and so I bought it on impulse, even though we had not yet cleared a space for it in the garage.

To take it home, we had to carry it upright in the back of Kevin's pickup, secured only with two bungee cords, and I was a bit nervous about this, but we drove back on Sepulveda Blvd with light traffic - no speed bumps, and only minor hills in Westchester. I was afraid that we would not be able to lift it off the truck, but I guess it was not as heavy as I thought, and perhaps I am not as decrepit as I thought - as Annie reminded me!

Now it is in our garage, cooling down, and we will be able to start putting things in it tomorrow. I have no organizational plans in mind at this point, and so I am afraid of creating a confusing arrangement of items on the shelves. We bought three gallons of water (and two half-gallons of Vodka) to help take up space in the freezer and keep it cold to save energy. I've already put my ice cream maker inserts inside, since it doesn't matter if they defrost, but the manual (which I had to download) says not to put any food in until the freezer has been on for at least eight hours.

I'm afraid that my plan of making a spread sheet for the items in the freezer will not be practical, but I do want some way of being able to know what is inside without opening it. The shelves are not that deep, and so I am thinking that things will not get lost as easily as I originally thought. I do want to be able to identify items quickly, however, and I have already noticed that I have things in containers in my old freezer compartments that I cannot identify.

Thanks for everyone's help on the other thread!

Lars

(Note: Since this is so long, I may delete some of it later, so that it will not take up so much space.)

Comments (18)