SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenfenn

which unfavorable scenario would you choose regarding island bar

luckyj
16 years ago

I just tried to post this question and for some reason it doesn't look like it showed up...but if it eventually does, the I apologize for any duplication.

Anyway, which is worse in an island with a slide-in range:

counterheight bar that is only 12" from cooktop or raised bar that is only 12" (maybe 13" with a lip in front) total, making the overhang only 8-9"?

I can't figure it out!! There's problems with both...safety, comfort at bar, aesthetics, etc. I'm totally spent on space in my 12'11" wide kitchen. I'm already doing 12" pantry cabs on the wall behind the bar and that aisle is at only 36" in order to keep the other side of the island with the range at a 42" aisle.

In your experience and opinion, which is better/worse, and why?

Just some info that may help: I have three young children. The bar would be for a breakfast/snack area, mostly for the kids. The tallest person in the house is 5'10". I am planning to use saddle stools so that I can slide them completely away when not in use.

My DH is pushing for counterheight for aesthetics, comfort and utility. My KD is pushing for the raised bar for safety. I can see going either way but both have big downsides. Mostly my kitchen has the downside of being only 13' wide!! Aarrgh!

Any help is MUCH appreciated.

Comments (2)