SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Older dog not holding urine

alisande
19 years ago

Angel, my briard mix, just turned 12. I took her to the vet this week and told him she's been having trouble holding her urine until we get outside, or until I get home. We've had some floods inside the front door. I've been spoiled, because she's always had exceptional bladder control. I work outside the home three days a week and am gone a minimum of nine hours, with some longer stretches. He told me that he could medicate her for the problem, but since the meds have side effects he was reluctant to do that at this point. That was fine with me, as I've read that similar drugs for humans cause dry eyes, dry mouth, and sleepiness, and I didn't want to do that to Angel.

Now I find she's been peeing in her bed. I removed and discarded the stuffing, washed the cover, and put it back with plastic underneath to protect the floor. I was supposed to take delivery of new living room furniture soon (the room is presently empty), but I'm reluctant to do that with Angel presenting this problem. She always loved getting up on the sofa. I'm also concerned about her feelings: She must know she's peeing in the house, and it must bother her.

Have any of you been through this with your older dog? It is time to consider the meds? Anything else I can do?

Thank you!

Susan

Comments (27)