SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilovemytrees

Dog urine around trees/shrubs

ilovemytrees
9 years ago

Hi. We bought a Labrador Retriever on Saturday.

My first dog.

I'm in love...

He's 7 weeks old.

Anyway, we are in the process of potty training him to go outside, and so far, it's gone pretty well. He didn't have an accident all day. Saturday was a different story, lol, but we took the breeder's advice for Sunday and fed him 3 times a day on a specific schedule and then walked him outside after he ate and after naps etc. That made a huge difference! He's now getting the hang of it.

His favorite spot to pee and do #2 is in the front yard, at the fence's edge that is protecting one of my forsythias.

Is that going to hurt my shrub?

We tried crate training, but THAT only lasted for 1 night. His whining and crying nearly brought me to tears. Just as I couldn't let my kids cry it out, I can't let my puppy cry it out. Don't have it in me. He's right now asleep here in bed with us.

P.S I admit we didn't get this dog at a shelter. I have a special needs son, he's 15 and he has a moderate form of Autism. It was critical for us to find a dog that would fit our family well. We got the dog from a local, older couple, in their 50's, who have been breeding Labs for 30 years.

This post was edited by ilovemytrees on Mon, Oct 13, 14 at 2:28

Comments (13)