SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kpaquette_gw

Help me with my powder room! (PICS)

kpaquette
15 years ago

Hi guys...I'm facing a dilemma with my powder room. I'd post a pic but basically at the moment it's nothing but an empty room with white plaster.

I'm hitting a wall as to where to start with decorating it. I feel like I can't progress with things like art or color until I figure out what's going to be happening with the mirror.

The house is an 1850's Victorian. it's also a summer house. There will be 3.5" crown at the ceiling. The floors are quartersawn oak, with a walnut border. The floors in this room are being installed today so I don't have a pic, but here it is in the family room.

Since it's small, we're forced to have a corner sink. It will be this one, with the matching toilet. I think the fixtures will be chrome. I thought about bronze but the toilet lever will be chrome (no choice but that or brass) - could I mix the finishes?

This is the light, a small chandelier.

since it's in the corner, I don't know what to do about the mirror. There aren't many choices for corner medicine cabinets that aren't modern, so far the only contender is this, but I'm sort of "meh" about it. If I did get it, I'd change the knob.

Having storage would be nice but isn't a necessity. I'm thinking I'd want something a little more ornate. I was thinking of finding an oval mirror, maybe vintage with a carved or gesso frame and paint it white (cottage-y). Or finding an antiqued look gold gilt mirror, maybe something like this but not SO ornate. (I love this mirror btw, but it's too small for an over-the-sink mirror.)

Then making a bracket so it could be mounted in the corner. Would that look odd?

so those are my only ideas - what would you do if it were your powder room?

Comments (13)