SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Maple syrup situation resolved

16 years ago

I spent some time composing a good letter, and made a copy for the neighbor. Put each letter in an envelope to take to the Post Office today so they could certify one. Then I emailed a copy of the letter to my son.

He emailed back, "Why don't you just call him and explain how you feel?" He felt it was unfortunate that things had gotten to this point. I explained that they got to this point because I wasn't paying attention, to my regret. He didn't feel the situation would ever get so heavy that it required legal validation. I said he was probably right. I agreed to talk to the guy.

Mr. Syrup showed up, by coincidence, within seconds. I went out and told him, nicely, how I felt. He was nice, too. He tried to tell me I had suggested that he tap our trees. Huh? I said that was not the case. He quoted me as saying, "We have maple trees that we used to tap." Yes, I did say that. No, it did not grant him permission to tap them. He apologized.

He agreed to remove all the tubing, etc., at the end of the season. I agreed to let him bring the first tank back next year to collect the sap from the neighbor's trees, but that's all.

We were still smiling when I went off to walk the dog.

Susan

Comments (11)