SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mori1_gw

I think my neighbor killed my Japanese Red Maple

mori1
14 years ago

I need to vent or I feel I might harm my neighbor, otherwise known as the brainless wonder.

When she first moved in several years ago, she killed my white guara with roundup. She wasn't trying to kill it just the weeds around the fence which we both share. Its gets really windy around here at times and it seems the wind blew it over to my plant. It took me a week to figure what had happened.

Two years ago she decided to turn here downspout so that the water ended up in my garden that border the fence. It was bad enough that we had a lot of rain that year and a really hard freeze that lasted about a week. But this wasn't helping because I just added 800 lbs of topsoil. After my failures of trying to get her to put the downspout back to the way it was, I turned that section of my yard into a rain garden. Two shrubs that barely survive the freeze, died to the now excess water.

Again this year we had a couple of days of late frost which did a number on my Japanese Ivory silk tree, but my Japanese maple was fine. Its usually the last tree to leaf out so no big deal. I even found some worm casting tree spikes so I gave to all my trees at the end of March.

At the beginning of May, one of my azaleas which just started flowering looked a little funny but I just it was due to the extra rain. A few days later I noticed that the leaves on my Japanese had not gotten any bigger. By the middle of May, the leaves were dead but I saw new buds so I hopeful.

Last week, I noticed that a nice size of my Hakuro Nishiki willow had brown leaves. I was seeing red. I knocked on the door brainless wonder door and showed the damage. I asked her point blank if she had been spraying weed killer. She said yes. She had started out with the granular stuff but all the rain wash it away. So she went back to the spray. The thing is from March to May, it was really windy. I can count on one hand the number days we didn't have any wind. The brainless wonder had sprayed and it ended on my azalea, willow and Japanese maple. The azalea is fine, the willow is already producing new leaves but my tree looks worse every day. The new buds I saw have turned brown as well as some of the stems.

I'm not a rich person but that is most expensive item in my garden. The only way I could afford this tree was due to a sale. The nursery was having a 25% off sale and the owner gave me a little extra discount because it was so small.

I told her the next time she was out to look at prices of Japanese red maple so she could have a good idea how much one of these babies cost. I think I'm going to tell her to get me a new tree. At least there is a sliver lining, she moving. Me and my garden couldn't be more happy.

Comments (22)

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

I think if you check you will find it is illegal to direct drainage water onto adjoining property.

Japanese maple cultivars rather often die or die back suddenly for reasons other than herbicide spray drift. If you look around a bit you are liable to see multiple posts from people wondering why their Japanese maple is dying back, didn't leaf out etc.

One of the things these are sensitive to is impeded drainage. Perhaps your tree was killed by the water problems you've mentioned.

• mori1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I didn't know that, I will check into it. The tree however, is planted away from the water drainage area. Thanks for the infro.

• Related Discussions

Did I kill my Japanese Maple Crimson Queen?!!!

Q

Comments (6)
    I bought a healthy Crimson Queen Lace-leaf Japanese Maple 4 weeks ago. After about 2 weeks I noticed that the leaves started wilting/drying and curling. When I touched the leaves they just fall down. This tree gets a lot of direct strong sun for 4-5 hrs per day. The soil in my area is very clayish. I dug a little soil around the tree to see if tree is drowning or suffocating and I saw that there was pool of water around it. Looks like the soil in my area is not draining but retains all water. Would this property of soil drown the tree? Do I need to move it somewhere else. Is it enough if I remove the tree add a little soil under it to increase the height and replant it in same place ? I also tried to break some small branches and it looks like some are brittle and they easily snap. The bark looks green. Please advise on options. I don't want this beautiful tree to die. Is there a test to tell if it is alive.
    ...See More

What to do about my Japanese Red Maple

Q

Comments (3)
    That is quite a nice tree! I agree with the pruning and I would not move it, dig it up, or other... I'm relatively new to Japanese Maples, so I'm not really comfortable directing you on specific pruning methods, however, much advice can be found online. One approach would be to find a picture of one you really like and shape your tree similarly. Remember that MAJOR pruning should be done over a couple of years so as not to shock the tree... Any idea how old that one is?
    ...See More

Will I kill this Japanese maple?

Q

Comments (2)
    Not knowing your area I can not say for sure but I would probably PASS and find a jm that definitly takes full sun in your area ...ask around look around see and research the web for full sun trees that meet your specs...You don't know what you are getting and that is most likely a mistake or at least a gamble David
    ...See More

Wondering what killed my red maples...

Q

Comments (4)
    Well I have solved the problem by relocating the "swamp maples" to the swamp! I had once known that red maples had this nickname but had forgotten. My guess now would be that this bundle of red maple trees was left out in the sun too long prior to packing, or otherwise stressed before shipping, rather than a problem with the conditions here. However from your reply, nhbabs, as well as a reply on the tree forum, it does seem likely that these trees still have a good chance of survival. The most insightful reply of all pointed out that the danger (whether real or perceived) to the horses was stressing me out and that the anxiety itself is a negative factor. So true! If I allowed the trees to stay and they made a comeback, the worry would continue to eat at me. Because I also hated the idea of throwing the trees on the fire if they might regenerate, the transplantation solution suggested itself. I plucked all six of them, donned mud boots, ventured out across the wetland area on the other side of the brook, and planted a little red maple grove in the corner of our property, far away from the horse pasture where they can harm no one. Perhaps one day they will raise their heads above the willow bushes and provide some nice autumn color that can be seen from the house. Or not. But whatever their fate, I feel like a burden is lifted from my shoulders. I decided to replace the red maples with white (paper) birch trees next spring, and I'm now much happier about the situation for both horses and trees! Thank you for the reply nhbabs. It was very helpful.
    ...See More
  • kman04
    14 years ago

Altering drainage patterns that adversely affect your neighbor's property is quite a common cause for lawsuits in Kansas. Granted it's often on farmland and less common with home lots, but still it is illegal to alter drainage patterns without approval in Kansas.

• mori1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I don't want to sue but I will ask her to turn the downspout before she moves.

• anitamo
    14 years ago

I have no doubt that your neighbor may have been a little trigger happy on the weed killer bottle. This could be the cause for your plants/trees ill health this spring, especially if it's been windy. There are laws, too, aren't there? preventing others from spraying chemicals on your property. Don't be too glad she's moving, at least you know what you have with her, but the new neighbor may be worse.

• mori1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I thought about that and I have had a couple of bad neighbors. The first one took a lawnmower to my red twig dogwood that I gotten the year before. The moron had been drinking. The plant survive and came back with a vengeance. However, the brainless wonder has cost me more in dead plants and headaches. She's a nice lady but she's becoming a little expensive to have around.

• timberling
    14 years ago

I personally would not be able to continue to put up with that kind of nonsense without getting the law involved, especially when it involves expense, continuously. How is it that you are going to be sure that she fixes that drainage issue before she moves? and if she does not, then what? Unresolved conflict, now with the new neighbor? And is there a way to PROVE that the drainage was altered if it is not undone before she moves? I have had problems with neighbors, fortunately, they have mostly all moved.... I got the law involved... called the police I don't know how many times. Some people just don't belong in town living in close quarters... wait, maybe that is me lol.
    I hope you finally get someone nice and thoughtful there.

• mori1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I hate getting the law involved but she is refusing to take responsibility for her actions. She truly is a brainless wonder, she has no idea just how mad I am. She says that I should it off as a lost since I've been able to get so many plants for free. For free, I trade with others to get some of the plants I have and the rest I grew from seed or bulbs. Since I was laid off last year, I don't have the finance to buy another one. When I got the current one, about 5 years ago, I had just started a new job and the nursery I frequent was having 25% sell. The nursery owner gave a great deal because everyone was going for big ones. This tree was perfect for the space I wanted to put it.
    Not sure what I'm going to do now and she's even refuse to put downspout back to its original position. She says that the way it was when she moved there. But I know that its wasn't because I was here a year or two before she was.

Sadly, I don't have any old pictures showing the back of her house. The only thing I think of is to take pictures showing the direction that the water is taking.

Oh well, I need to calm down and come up with a civil way of handling this.

• timberling
    14 years ago

I don't mean to get you riled up, but it is obvious that she has no respect. And why should you have to explain where, how, from whom you got your property... its yours, PERIOD. That is disrespectful. I would call a city office and see what they have to say to you about this. (just call and talk to someone, that's all for now if you are not comfortable with it yet--but according to what someone above said, you have laws about this in Kansas... she is leaving, not coming, so why try to maintain some sort of fake good relationship with this person ... sounds like the only one benefiting from the phoniness is her) There may be a citation in order... or a warning until she complies. If she is moving, and she knows that she changed things, I really think that now is the time to deal with the issue. How are you going to prove this later.
    Do you really want to live with her doings after she is gone? And it sounds like she is not the one stressed out, you are, about this whole thing. So, give her the one two, within your rights. I called around to the city before I felt more comfortable, and more sick and tired of the problems I was being dealt. I even had to call my ex to get advise, and a stiffer upper chin. But it worked, not immediately, but it worked. And they live down the street and visit next door... and I do not care if they give me ugly looks or what have you... it is my land... I pay for it every day I wake up and have to go to work, rather than stay at home and garden all day. It's mine, and if someone is allowed to disrespect you, they will I think. So show yourself some respect, and call around and get some answers.

• mori1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Actually, I'm more upset about the tree more then anything else. I talk to a friend and took some pictures showing the drainspout is facing the correct way but the elbow and drain tray is facing toward me. She is going to come in a couple of days to see the problem. She knows more about this stuff then me. But in the meantime I think I will call the city office to get more information. Thank you, this has been quite helpful.

• naturalstuff
    14 years ago

That would be a first. Neighbor killed because tree died.

Maybe a pet, maybe a relative, maybe a kid...but a tree?

LOL Relax my man...if she's not willing to cooperate then first see if a lawsuit would help (need plenty of hardcore proof she did it) and if lawsuit is not the answer go around her house with round-up and smile while you're spraying. 4th of July is coming...light some M-80's near her house..maybe her paintings will fall off the walls.

• mori1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOL, no if they is civil way to handle this, that's what I rather do. Besides, she is moving in less then a month so that does help ease a little of the pain. I'm not a sue happy person, I didn't take pictures of the damage to Hakuro Nishiki willow and by the time I figure out what happen with azalea, the flowers were already gone. I stupidly believe she would do right thing.

Besides, my trees are my pets. They are living, breathing(in a way) creations, they eat, grow, get hurt and die. I can't have animals because I'm allergic to them so to me this is the next best time.

• brindlebutt
    14 years ago

I don't have any expert advice for you, but I just wanted to say I feel really bad for you. I can just imagine her spraying the Roundup like she was putting out a fire. Roundup and weeds are all she knows. I love my trees. I've lived with them for many years and have an emotional attachment to them.

As far as dealing with her - find out what the laws are first. Then read her the riot act, calmly but assertively, and tell her what the law requires. (Maybe give her a photocopy or a phone number to call if she has questions.) Give her a deadline to make the corrections, and tell her you will take further action with an impartial third party if she does not do so. If she makes any remarks other than "I'll take care of it immediately!" then just tell her clearly that she does not understand how serious a matter this is, and that her actions are a clear-cut violation of your property rights. The longer she ignores it, and the condition of your property continues to deteriorates, the more difficult it will be for her to resolve financially. If she gives you a hard time, tell her that her attitude is unacceptable, and forces you to put the matter into the hands of a third party immediately. And follow through, of course. This approach has worked for me, and I have never had to take legal recourse, because my no-nonsense attitude gets their attention. It is also civil discourse, and there have never been left over bad feelings.

Good that she is moving, but you need to think and quickly if you want her to correct the damage that has been done, that you can at this point document, before she is gone and can ignore you.

Good luck. Stick up for your trees!

• mori1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You want to hear something funny. I had an early meeting and would you believe there was a lawyer there. Anyway, I asked her some questions and told her my situation with drainage not the tree. I knew wasn't a lawyer in the area I needed, but maybe she could point me in the right direction. She is suppose to back to me in few days. In the meantime, I'm off to the library to see what I can find on this drainage issue.

I was speaking to my insurance friend this morning. He said I should have asked her not only to replace the tree but extra for the five years I had invested in its care. I never even thought of that. But really, I would like an apology for her disrespect for her heartless over the loss of my tree and to replace it. We will see what happens over the next few days.

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

Not that I'm insisting that there must have always been another cause for the problems with each plant but note also that the all-white leaves of 'Hakuro-nishiki' are prone to sunburn. If only these parts turned brown it is not likely to have been due to the spray drift.

Seems like there would be a problem trying to get damages from her because of the lack of concrete proof that your losses were caused by her spraying. If the gaura and others developed typical glyphosate damage after she sprayed then that is pretty obvious, having a Japanese maple cultivar up and die is not so unusual and so clearly due to herbicide applications in this instance. You are assuming that was the cause, but can you prove it?

Even with the people behind me who have reached over the fence and cut my shrubs, thrown the material onto my side I have felt I might have to set up security cameras and film them in the act before I would be able to prove it to a third party's satisfaction.

However, at least one of them has admitted doing it to another member of the household here. Prior to this they were argumentative when approached (by me), and subsequently one of them even asked me to adjust the angle of our security light (which is about 100' from their house).

The thing you always have to deal with is that other people always think they have an entitlement to what they are doing, or are protecting a principal or even an ethic when messing with you or your stuff.

• mori1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

bboy, you right about the Hakuro Nishiki being prone sunburn. However, unless mother nature for some strange reason had the sun shine on just that area for that amount of sunburn on the leaves but the branches. Then the laws of physic and nature just went out the window. There is also the fact that when I confronted her about spraying the weed killer, she admitted it.

I was at the library today and found this great book called Neighbor Law Fences, Trees, Boundaries & Noise by Attorneys Cora Jordan & Emily Doskow. It was a great start to what I needed to do. I contacted the city offices and sent an email, I hope to the correct person. I included a picture taken June or July 07, showing the drownspout in the original position and picture of how it was changed to face me and a picture of some of the erosion that it has caused. I have no idea if anything will come of it but maybe I get at least issue resolved.

• DA_Mccoy
    14 years ago

In the event your venue has a prohibition on redirecting discharge water onto the property of another it would be a zoning/building and safety violation. This violation would be enforced by your venue on your complaint.

To recoup cash relief for the loss of your tree would be a small claim matter which you would handle yourself. Though not knowing the exact statutes of your state I believe if you prevail more than likely all you would receive is actual costs of a replacement tree, installation costs, and your filing fee. The true value of a mature tree would be subjective thus normally not of merit. In small claims court punitive damages are not addressed. The ability to collect is an additional matter.

DA

• mori1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks DA, your advice could not have been more timely. I just found out today from the stormwater engineer, the city does not have any ordinance for this. Which is surprising since they have one for everything else. Anyway, I was told by someone else to talk to zoning and permits.

My friend came by, saw the damage and said basically small claim court too. I would hate to do this because she's getting married next month but I guess I have to look into all of my options. I'm hoping I hear from that lawyer by this weekend and I will go from there.

• DA_Mccoy
    14 years ago

Glad I could return the help that I received from the kind members here.

DA

• mori1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No problem DA. I talk to the person in zoning and the city has nothing so now I have to look at the state level. Talk to the lawyer I met on Wednesday. She is going to see what she can find and get back to me early next week. In the mean time, I have going through some old pictures to see I have that show the drain in its original position so far only the one. I also found a couple of my tree before it died. I took some pictures of damage on the Hakuro-nishiki. I had cut a lot of it away but not all. I also took pictures of the healthy one that is across from it. The two of them form a branched gate which is kind of cool. I'm hoping this will help in proving my tree case. Might be a long shot but every bit helps. I also found receipts of the dirt I applied to correct the drainage issue. My hope in all of this, is with the stuff I collected and what the lawyer finds out. I will be able to force my neighbor hand with a demand letter and not have to take her to court. She is already under enough stress with trying to move and plan wedding but just in case I will be ready.

• DA_Mccoy
    14 years ago

If you are convinced the only relief is legal action:

It is not uncommon to send notice of "Intent to Bring Legal Action". Normally your counsel would do this on letter head to show you are serious and possibly , shall we say, nudge the defendant to respond and offer to settle.

In small claims since you are representing yourself as the plaintiff you could do the same thing. An inexpensive way is to obtain the proper complaint form from your local court handling small claims.

You will first have to do your homework in regards to replacement cost, installation and the filing fee. Complete the complaint citing your cause and and claim of costs to make you whole, but DO NOT date it. Make a copy of the complaint. Now publish a letter/face sheet to your neighbor citing your "Intent to Bring Legal Action". Offer a time frame of 21 days for a response to settle informally. Enclose the copy of the complaint. Do not hand deliver. Use the USPS and request a receipt of delivery.

If you do not get a favorable response or none at all you will have the prepared complaint which you will date the day of filing.

It is not my intent to discourage you, but please be sure legal action is what you want to do. It is very draining and deflating if you lose in court, and you could. Please, listen to your counsel.

DA

• mori1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

DA

Already started doing that. Went online to see what Kansas claim court required. Its not as expensive as I thought. Is a letter of intent, the same as Demand letter? I haven't gotten to the paperwork yet but my plan was to send the Demand letter but a copy of form.

I think its going to be more draining for her because she has a lot on her plate right now. And even if I lose, it will be a learning experience.

Thank you for the information.