SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hunzi_gw

Ok, I'm new - Help paint my house!

hunzi
16 years ago

Hi there! Warning, I'm rambling!

My DH has offered to finally paint the living room over the holidays. I've lived with ugly primer grey nastiness for so long I'm embarrassed to tell y'all. Basically, we did some work in the room when we bought the house, got stuck because we needed woodwork milled, then just moved on to other projects. Every time I've mentioned painting, he's reminded me that we needed woodwork and we wouldn't want to have to do the work twice, and then our "Renovation ADD" kicks in and we move on to some other pressing need in this 125yr old house.

But now DH has taken inventory of our existing trim and says we actually do have enough to do the LR, just not the DR, Hall, and Library that adjoin it.

Everyone sing "Hallelujah!"

I've had a semi-notion of what color I'd like to use for a while, Golds in the LR, Warm Reds in the DR or visa versa, a cream in the Front Hall and probably use the same color as the LR on the tiny bit of wall in the Library, but now I have about 2 weeks to actually CHOOSE a color/paint. Gulp.

Here's what I know:

I love warm colors, hate cool/putty/muddy ones. I have sworn absolutely no greens will enter my house, but I have to admit, I'm toying with the thought of a pale spring green for my sunniest bedroom.

Since I've been dreaming of this day for quite some time, I was able to walk into my kitchen, pull out a bag of Ben Moore Aura Samples I picked up last spring, and swatch a bit of the ones I like best on the walls. I also stopped by the dealer and picked up some of the BM regular samplers. (We've used BM Regal paint in two bedrooms and loved it.) So now I have stripes about 12x4" on 3 walls with different light exposures in the LR and some in the Hall and DR just for jollies.

Other info that might be useful:

The house is 125yrs old. We're doing a painfully slow renovation.

This is NOT an open floor plan, but as I sit in my LR now, I can see into the DR and Library through 5ft wide doorways, and can also see into the front hall (lots of openings in the LR - 3 doors, 2 windows).

The room is 15x15 and has a 10-7" ceiling.

The 5x7 and 3x7ft windows face South and West, but there's a wrap-around porch, so the room doesn't get huge amounts of direct light, just some from the South on winter afternoons, and an hour or so from the West most summer days.

The color feeling I'm going for is something rich and warm, nothing that makes the room feel too small, but a color that has a feeling of being timeless - like it belongs in the house, but I'm open to a bit of a twist on that.

Right now slapped up on my walls:

Hawthorn Yellow (Reg) - I've always loved this on the color cards, but it looks really lemon yellow in the brighter parts of the day and fades to barely there at night.

Concord Ivory (Reg) - I wasn't sure I'd like this, but I do. Looks a bit more brownish in the day than I'd like, but looks good in the evenings.

Caliente (Aura) - Wow. Power color. I like it, but there's no way I'm putting that on 4 walls. It has promise for the library, where I'll only have a tiny bit of exposed wall.

Moroccan Red (Reg) - Much more midtone than Caliente. It's growing on me.

Moroccan Spice (Aura) - Bleh. Too pink? Too something.

I like what I'm reading about the Aura paints. I was impressed at how well my samplers covered and looked on dirty/unprepped walls, painted with a cheapo chip brush.

I'm intrigued by all the discussions of full spectrum paints. I see a few EK paints that look interesting, but I'm hesitant to work with an unknown paint in a room I know won't get repainted again in ages.

Whatever I get has to hold up to grubby kids' hands and a frequently muddy German Shepherd (usually as I'm frantically chasing him). So I have to have something that cleans up nicely.

The door/window trim is 5in wide stained a mid-tone maple-ish color (previous home owner).

We're fairly handy. The plan for the LR is to knock down the light texture that I begged DH not to put on the ceiling 15yrs ago, smooth/recoat the plaster ceiling, repair/prep all the walls, and if I can talk him into it, we'll drain the boiler down and pull out the cast iron radiator which needs to be stripped. There's also a brick fireplace some POs "updated" and painted. I may hit it with a stripper in the back corner and see if there's hope of a clean up or if we should just hold our noses and repaint. Anyway, no one will mistake us for professional painters but we're pretty good.

I'm pretty sure we'll use Linen White or a close FS or Aura Affinity equivalent for the ceiling and possibly the fireplace (haven't really thought that through yet).

So I'm looking for ideas, color suggestions, thoughts on full spectrum paints vs Aura Affinity or using Aura with older BM colors or finding a dealer who can give me a FS color with Aura, or trying out some new-to-me paint, like F&B or ICI(EK).

If you're still reading, you've won a free pony! (or at least a dirty kid!).

Always ;-)

Hunzi

Comments (4)