SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kitasmommie

Looking for some insight on cognitive dysfunction syndrome

kitasmommie
11 years ago

Our blind Akita, Kita, seemed to adapt very well to the loss of her sight (she had a double enucleation last March after being treated for almost 3 years for glaucoma).
She's not as active as she used to be. but she's also over 10 years old now with some arthritis in her back legs. She gets regular walks twice a day & we play alot, but she doesn't run & jump any more.
Recently, when we go to bed at night, she's started circling. Not the "I'm looking for a good place to lay down" circle - but larger, causing her to run into the walls, dressers, etc. And she knows where the walls, dressers are - she's mapped the house well & we don't rearrange. This can go on for 15-20 minutes before she settles down - then she's really not settled - she'll pant, but doesn't want water. I'll stop her circling, get her to sit & scratch her for a while - but as soon as I stop, the circling starts again....I guess till she wears out. Then she will sleep thru the night.
She also not always responding to verbal commands. Sometimes when you call her, she goes in the wrong direction - or just totally ignores you (hearing has been checked & no problems found). Often I feel like she's just ignoring me.
Last vet appt (just last month), he suggested we first treat her for pain (maybe from the arthritis). Put her on Meloxacam. I haven't seen any improvement in the past 2-3 weeks - we go back to the vet in 2 weeks. He also said that if it wasn't pain, it may be CDS.
She gets Orijen food, which is high in Glucosamine, Chondroitin, Omega 3's & antioxidents. Her appetite is still good.
I'm just wondering if anyone else has any suggestions, comments, whatever....I've just never had to deal with this one before.

Comments (5)