SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pitcom

Terrible blossom drop syndrome.

pitcom
11 years ago

I was hoping someone would have some suggestions as I cannot figure out what exactly is going on, although I have an idea.

I have 32 tomato plants,both my neighbor and a friend both have 4 which i started for him. Of those 32 I have 8 cherry tomato varieties. Each of those plants is setting fruit at near 100% compared to how many flowers develop. This includes my San Marzano tomatoes.

However, all of my other varieties, such as Kellogg's Breakfast, Potano Romanesco, Brandywine, Beefsteak, Cherokee, Red Calabash, Caspian, Green Zebra ect, all have severe blossom drop issues. My plants average about 6 foot tall, and I have at most 4 tomatoes on each plant, (some only have 1 or 2). No flowers since the first set of flowers has produced any fruit. I have hundreds of flowers on all of my plants, and they are all turning yellow and falling off.

I went to my neighbors and checked, and all 4 of his plants are experiencing the same exact problem. I checked with my friend, 2 of his plants were cherries and they have fantastic fruit set, yet the Kelloggs and Cherokee I gave him have blossom drop syndrome.

Does anyone have any insight to why this happening? I have so many flowers and so little fruit. I do not believe I have over-fertilized at all. At the beginning of the season I added lobster compost to the tomato beds, and since then I have only gave the plants a small feeding of fish emulsion twice in 2 months. My neighbor planted his in leaf compost which our township gives out for free and has not fertilized.

The only thing I can think of is pollination problems. Our area is eerily devoid of bees this year and I have been having some problems with my squash being sufficiently pollinated. But if it was a pollination issue, why are all of the cherry varieties setting fruit near 100%?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH