SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mike_in_kc

Sundowner Syndrome with our dog

mike_in_kc
9 years ago

Actually this is Marg in KC. I have been a member since 1997 but lost my ID. The folks on this forum have always been extremely helpful. I had to put down my 17 year old cat with dementia after she forgot who to use her litter box.

I used to foster cats. I adopted Emi in 2002. She had chronic feline herpes. The rescue center said she should not have been adopted out. I nursed her until 2012. She had lost a lot of weight and was in trouble. I had her PTS.

I have a Soft-Coated Wheaten Terrier. She just turned 11 (born on the Ives of March, it is easy to remember). She has always had separation anxiety but we have dealt with that. In the last couple of months she has started wanting to stay in the garage each evening. After 1 1/2 weeks. I moved her bed out there. She has started pooping and occasionally peeing there. Before she was having problems in the house and I was threatening to put her to sleep.. I am beginning to believe she is suffering from dementia but wants to control herself. Has anyone else ever been through something like this? At what point was too long? I don't know as much about dogs.

Comments (4)