SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
digitylgoddess

Help with Only Kitten Syndrome

digitylgoddess
16 years ago

My parents found a kitten (no more than four weeks old, we think) in a broken pipe in their basement - we still have no idea how he got there.

It's been about five months since then and the kitten (Piper) has been having bouts of aggression. He'll be loving and playful, then go absolutely bonkers and start biting, swiping and hissing. It's gotten to the point where he'll just watch someone doing something innocuous (like reading the newspaper) and then he'll just attack!

At first, I thought it was because he was still intact (the neutering isn to come in the next few months, anyway) but I read up on the behavioral problems and think it sounds more like Only Kitten Syndrome.

This would make sense, since my parents have no other animals and Piper has been with them since the day he was found.

I have a 2 year old spayed female cat that I have not yet introduced to Piper, but wonder if this might be a good idea so he can "learn" from her.

Has anyone else worked with felines exhibiting OKS? Is the introduction of other cats prudent at this time?

Comments (8)