SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thetzone

Let’s share some progress and positivity!!

thetzone
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi fellow houzzers! Happy April!

I thought it woukd be fun fun to share some progress with each other and offer encouragement and positivity to those of us currently going through kitchen renovations (big or small)!

So take a second to snap a photo of your favorite bit of progress in your kitchen! Could be as simple as new knobs/pulls or as complex as your full finished job!!

Best of luck to everyone going through renovations and cheers to spring!!

Here is my happy progress photo!! My pulls finally going in!! Opening drawers without them has been a royal pain in the arse!

Comments (2.9K)

• Lexi GS
    4 years ago

Helen,

Beautiful wallpaper! Can you share the Etsy seller details?

• Helen
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

@Lexi

The seller was Lily from Chinoiserie Home Deco. She was lovely to work with.

The paper wasn't cheap as it's hand painted silk but cost about 20% of what De Gournay was priced at.

My designer had sent her the panels with the designs needed to work for my spaces - i.e. my bathroom walls were short so I wouldn't want the design to be cut off at weird places.

If you visit her site, there are a number of pictures which illustrate what you can achieve.

Chinoiserie Wallpaper

• Related Discussions

Could use some positive thoughts

Q

Comments (118)
    At the following url is a whole PDF file on Kerdi and its installation, as well as a streaming video on an installation. The only difference between what you'll see in the video and what I'd want to do is that I'd much rather make my own curb and mud my own shower pan, rather than using the preformed ones that they have. As for why Kerdi-- First, in any steam shower you MUST have a completely enveloping waterproof barrier-- not just in the shower pan. Up until the kerdi came along, I usually used a trowel applied membrane, being that sheetmembranes have seams to them, where leaks can occur. However, with the Kerdi, although it has seams, I was willing to try it due to the fact that Schluter is one of the most reputable companies in the industry, and they wouldn't market a product unless there'd been extensive r&d done on it, as well as testing to make sure it was a top notch product. They're one of those companies that you here about every so often that if there's a problem with their product, they'll replace the whole installation as well as anything that their failure might ruin. So I tried it, and I've got to say, I've done about a dozen or so kerdi showers, better than half of those being steam showers, and I've yet to have a single problem. The best thing I like about them is the integral drain that goes along with the system. Whereas most waterproofing systems are just like normal showers where the pan is concerned-- first the preslope, then the pan membrane, then the mud, and then the tile-- the Kerdi system has taken the mud right out of the pan, and put it UNDER it. The membrane actually attaches to the TOP of the drain, so there's NO chance of water sitting in the pan under the tile and having problems down the road with all the lovely things associated with that, like mold, mildew, bacteria, etc..The tile is thinsetted directly to the membrane, so that it (the tile) is the only thing between the water and the membrane, and it's that much easier for all the water to either drain out of the pan, or evaporate into the air. There aren't many products in this industry that I'd give a 10 to, but Kerdi is no doubt, one of them. One of the most innovative products to come down the pyke in a long time. Here is a link that might be useful: Schluter Kerdi
    ...See More

MAY we all share some progress and positivity?!?

Q

Comments (2)
    Thanks, dtrivino, for keeping this going. I may not comment a lot, but I love reading and liking posts! :) We are officially halfway through our door/drawer front painting. I'm having a bit of buyer's remorse, and worried the pale grey (BM Moonshine) I chose is too light, but, we are going forward. It might end up just reading white in the room, but I'd rather it was too light than too dark. And, against the white walls (SW Snowbound) it will hopefully bring out the slight greenish-grey color. We've also been working on trim in the house. We took out a partial wall between the living room and kitchen (it was 8' high, leaving a 6' opening above it), and opened up the standard-sized doorway considerably. We bulked up the existing 4" posts to make them more substantial (more like 12" now), and we are trimming them out. I spent all day filling nail holes, and hopefully I can start painting them tomorrow. Where we started (check out that carpet!): Taking down the wall: This morning: We're hoping to progress far enough to paint the living room this weekend, getting rid of that pretty line across the ceiling!
    ...See More

Let’s talk diet(s)

Q

Comments (68)
    There are so many false ideas promoted in the posting by Springroz. I have pursued physical fitness for 4 decades. I won't even attempt to link all the articles that de-bunk the loss of femininity due to exercise and weight lifting. There are too many to list. Just do a Google search on Testosterone and women. We have it and we need it and we can't do without it. As far as the idea of reducing movement to increase weight loss. I can't let this pass without citing at least one link. Again please do your research. There isn't ANYTHING worse for the human body than reduced movement and exercise. Nothing. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3567319/. https://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/downloads/growing_stronger.pdf
    ...See More

Let’s take this from blah to bam!

Q

Comments (24)
    @HU-121936772 It is a push Pin map but I haven’t brought myself to put holes in it. We just like to look at it. It is used often—when we read the news and need to look up an area, planning our next get away and drilling each other. It’s been a lot of fun to have, so that is why the kids want it to stay. @Maureen that is exactly the aesthetic I was aiming for! I had a jute rug that did not hold up to 4 kids and a dog. I’m planning on layering a sisal with a muted Persian this time. My dh Wants some color and that is my compromise. I’m switching out pillows and new chairs soon as well. Thanks for the input!!
    ...See More
  • Jenn A
    4 years ago

Making progress! Nowhere near complete, but it has changed a lot in a few months!

I also picked a countertop today!

More work to be done this weekend!

• Helen
    4 years ago

@Beth - Yes that's Lexus range LOL. The marble mosaic tile From Artistic Tile I used as a centerpiece in my shower was definitely in the Maserati range as it was $145 per square. Since I didn't need much square footage, it was an affordable splurge. On their webpage, they have some bathrooms done entirely in that which would be a Maserati bathroom for sure. My inspiration bath was done with Motawi Tiles which also seem to be Maserati as when I peeked at their price catalogue they were also in the $145 per square foot range.

The Encore tiles were Lexus range in the 3' x 6". The advantage of having a relatively small space is that the cost of my materials in general weren't as much of an issue as they would be for people with normal sized spaces except for some gasp producing stuff like the De Gournay wallpapers.

Here is a picture of the mosaic accent wall - when I sit on the bench which is under the niche, I get a lot of pleasure from looking at it. And the tile guy did a great job of installing the mosaic as well as the rest of the tiles. It's hard to tell from the photo but each of the petals in the flowers are separate marble pieces.

I think the grab bar and the hand held shower look pretty good in terms of not detracting from the overall design. I have two hand held shower heads and I am so glad that my designer suggested having the second one by the bench because I can sit and access it so comfortably.

The 4" x 4" are Pratt & Larsen

The 3' x 6" subway tiles are Encore's Precocious Blue

The marble floral mosaic is from Artistic Tile

I can't remember who the manufacturer of the rose gold penny tile is but I can check my invoices if anyone is interested.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

helen, all that tile is just gorgeous. I don't blame you for staring at it. yes, even though some tile is expensive, if you have a small space to do, it's worth it. you'll have this for a long time, so why scrimp? at this point in my life, i'm getting what I want, when I want it. realistically I've only got another 25-30 yrs, and if they go as quickly as the last 25, I'm in trouble!

• Helen
    4 years ago

@BethH = As the saying goes, if you don't fly first class, your heirs will :-).

• emilikins
    4 years ago

But Jenn A your old cabinets were trending ;-) Two-tone is in! :-p

• Elina N.
    4 years ago

Hi Everybody, Helen, I thought maybe this would be helpful - I work for a tile store that can create a rendering of the tile that you like in your own space. You will be able to see what it looks like in the space that you're buying it for. This is free - the idea is to solve this problem of being able to visualize what your space will actually look like with a certain product. If you're interested please feel free to email: info@tileestate.com. Have a great weekend everybody

• Sara
    4 years ago
    Not as exciting as the above, but our master bath addition is almost done!!! Shower glass and knobs go in on Monday and we will be good to go. Heated floors! And my husband’s favorite-a Toto washlet (it was his Christmas present ).
  • Helen
    4 years ago

@Sara - I LOVE my Toto washlet. Did you get the one where the toilet seat opens automatically? I wasn't going to get it originally but it wasn't much more so I decided to go for it. If you have it, you can also program it so that the actual seat lifts up and goes down when a man stands in front of it to urinate.

• Sara
    4 years ago
    I did not-we rented a vrbo with one like that and the seat annoyed me. Kept dumping my towel on the floor :)
  • Helen
    4 years ago

How did the toilet seat dump the towel? Inquiring minds want to know :-)

• Sara
    4 years ago
    There wasn’t a hook for the towel by the shower so I laid it over the toilet seat and then it raised up and dumped it. Or stayed raised and I couldn’t get it down
  • Sara
    4 years ago
    Floor guys no-showed like five different times but finally knocked out it mostly on Friday. I didn’t feel bad at all that they had to work late :). We are moving our kitchen so this is the wood floor for the new kitchen. And cabinets started going in today!
  • PRO
    Kitchen Tune-up Zeeland, Sales & Design
    4 years ago
    I hate no shows. That would have really ticked me off. Glad it finally got done though and it looks great!
  • Sara
    4 years ago

The floorings guys have been the worst-both tile guy and wood floor. Multiple no shows, or they come for an hour and leave. Argh!!! Everyone else has been great, so I guess in the world of remodeling it could be much worse.

• Helen
    4 years ago

Well at least my building has approved having my GC repair the dry well so I don't have to worry about the work product not being up the kind of work he does. Now I just have to go back to the insurance company since their "estimate" for repair of the dry wall was quite a bit lower than what it costs realistically. So framing can start - I guess another two weeks without being able to use my dining room and living room as all the furniture is shoved into the living room. I was ALL SET to hang the drapes the week of the flood but was advised to hold off until the wall is finished because of all the dust when the drywall was primed.

My guest bath scones are FINALLY ready to be installed and will go up tomorrow - a small curio cabinet will be hung above the toilet and then the guest bathroom will be done - except for finding a pretty container for guest towels.

So like a snail or earthworm, I inch forward. Still haven't located sconces for the bedroom :-(

• Helen
    4 years ago

Eureka as I think I have found sconces for either side of my bed - they complement some of the Art Decoesque elements like my door hardware and are enough of a difference from my chandelier that my designer thinks they would work since they are a design foil to other design elements and the chandelier in its Neo-Roccoconess would stand alone :-).

I found the chandelier fortuitously as I have stopped reading design magazines lest I drive myself mad with buyer's remorse but I downloaded a copy of Elle Decor and since I was bored and trapped at the computer, I started reading it - saw the ad for Circa Lighting and googled their website.

What say the Positivity Community :-)??

Bedroom Sconce

I would get the antique brass finish

Side view of sconce

My bed with the hideous sconces which had to be installed to pass inspection. I now have six of these if anyone needs sconces. I don't usually have my toothbrush and cleansing stuff on my night stand but they were moved by my designer in order to take a "glamour" shot of the bathroom sans any mundane grooming items :-).

Bed has vaguely Art Deco ziggurat design which is why I think the sconces would work in terms of the bed.

My bedding is not on the bed - I have a faux fur bedspread in ivory mink and will have two pillows made up to complement the chaise and armchair in my bedroom.

For reference here is the Neo-Rococo chandelier - I was told by a lighting expert that it was Neo-Rococo from late 19th century rather than the early Rococo period. It was originally a gaslight fixture but my parents had it wired for electricity when my mother brought it home from a junk store :-).

Picture was shot just before I moved out for my remodel so hideous popcorn ceiling is gone as is the ugly medallion as my cabinet maker is creating a new ceiling medallion which will tie in the Art Deco aspects of my bedroom.

Ceiling medallion my cabinet maker is constructing for me.

By the way ceiling medallions are called ceiling roses in Great Britain and the rest of the British Empire (NZ and Australia).

Door knob for my bedroom door and master bath door as well as guest bathroom door.

• Laura Mac
    4 years ago

Gorgeous sconces!!!! If it were me....

1. Center the bed

2. Remove those temp sconces, patch the holes

3. Place 2 gorgeous brass/gold lamps (I prefer lamps by the bed)

4. Are the nightstands staying? They seem too small/low for the space. But that's me, I prefer bigger nightstands to hold my stuff. I like taller at same height as my mattress, not lower...

I'd get your bedding on first and get a feel for it all. Take some pics from the foot of bed on so we can get a better vision of the look and placement.

Gorgeous paper!!

• Helen
    4 years ago

@Laura Mac - Thanks for the input.

I think the bed is actually centered and the angle for some reason is distorting the symmetry.

Before the wallpaper was installed last week, I had a discussion with my designer in which I asked whether sconces are necessary and why couldn't I just paper over the J boxes but she was adamant that the wall needed some kind of visual bookend and I generally defer to her on conceptualizing spaces as I just don't have that ability :-(. I don't actually ever envision USING any bedside lights because I use the iPhone and iPad to read in bed so turning OFF a lamp at night is something I don't do because I generally fall asleep either reading or watching television so if the light was on, it wouldn't get turned off. Of course, there is always a clapper LOL. Clap on Clap Off LOL

The night tables were actually my vanity in their former life. I had a Waterfall style bedroom suite - bed, vanity, dresser and armoire and I refinished the dresser and armoire and had the vanity turned into two end tables. It's hard to tell from the shot but they obviously go well with the dresser and armoire and it made sense to have those three elements (dresser, armoire and night stands) match since there were going to be some other strong design elements brought in - arm chair, chaise, wallpaper and drapes.

I don't keep that much stuff on my nightstands - really nothing but my iPad - they do have nice large drawers so there is that kind of additional storage. What I have mostly is a plethora of remotes - it's really quite unbelievable as I have remotes for adjustable bed; television set; cable box; Apple TV plus my iPhone which has an App to control the shades. I have all of those in a bag for easy access because I need them to be completely accessible - even a nightstand would be too much of a stretch as it's easier to reach for the bag alongside me and pull out whatever remote I need at the moment :-).

Hopefully when the wall is finished I can carry on to get the bedroom finished in terms of installing drapes. I had scheduled them being installed the week of the flood which was four weeks ago.

And for those who follow the sage of the insane people in my building, Dr. Death (as I affectionately call him) who is the literally crazy guy who caused the flood had another blow up with his roommate/girl friend. I came home yesterday at about 4 PM and there was a police car in the driveway - in the lobby were two police arguing with a girl who had a suitcase. Dr. Death had kicked out his girlfriend yet again and she was squatting in the lobby. This has happened several times in the past with the same drill. He kicks her out - she refuses to leave the building to the extent that she was actually sleeping in our lobby for a couple of nights. The police are called and Dr. Death is told that since she has the address listed on her driver's license, he has to give her 30 days notice because she is a legal tenant - and so the fun begins.

I can't remember if I explained HOW he caused the flood - he evidently had hooked up a rubber hose to the supply line of his bathtub and it broke - once the supply line breaks it just cascades and floods until all the water in the building is turned off and an emergency plumber is called. On the bright side since he has completely inadequate insurance, I would imagine eventually the insurance companies foreclose on his unit and he is forced out of the building. I can't imagine what the total cost is going to be - my friend lives on the first floor and her damages are about $40,000 - because a section of her wood floor was damaged, it all has to be replaced - she has to move out for six weeks and so they pay for a hotel and food per diem. Everything in her unit has to be packed up and stored so they pay for that. And the damage to the actual wall has to be replaced and painted.

The guy on the 11th floor - just below him had to gut his whole bathroom - plus flooring - plus other walls in his unit AND the electric panel for his apartment got flooded so needs to be replaced. I would imagine his damages in total would be $100,000 when all is said and done. My completely minor damage - i.e. my wall got damp is costing $1700 just for the replacement of the dry wall - painting and painting the ceiling which got damaged when they taped for the asbestos. Plus the asbestos test ($600) plus the asbestos abatement ($1300) plus the water emergency people with their dryers for a week ($300) plus my hiring movers to move furniture from the dining area :-).

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

helen,,,wow. yep, dr death has to go through formal eviction process just as if she were a tenant renting his apartment.

Doesn't your building have some type of 'clause' for unruly people who damage the property? Hopefully all the insurance companies sue HIM for damages and he has to sell and gtho of dodge!

My husband also does emergency services due to fire/flood. It's unbelievable what they charge the insurance companies. Those dryers cost over $400 a DAY!

That wallpaper is so pretty.

Laura,,,when we going?! lol

• Helen
    4 years ago

@Beth H - I SEVERELY underestimated the cost of the water drying people as I just got their invoice today and it is $2500. LOL

And I can't state emphatically enough how minor the damage was - if my designer had not been in my unit, I would probably never have even noticed there was any kind of issue with my wall since the wall itself didn't show any moisture wicking through - but what a cascading series of costs.

I have a deductible of $1000 so I am probably out of pocket for that because even though insurance will subrogate against Dr. Death's insurance and other assets, he is so woefully underinsured that I can't imagine there actually being money left after all the insurance companies figure out how to divide the carcass of his assets. :-).

Did I mention he is an actual doctor - he performs neurological tests so I would imagine that most of his patients are just anonymously referred to him when tests are needed and the patients have NO idea of what kind of maniac he is. When he went crazy (literally) for the third time, he lost his privileges at Cedars-Sinai for awhile and the State Board tried to revoke his medical license. Since I was on the Board at the time, they contacted me - that was a MAJOR eye opener in terms of how difficult it is to strip unfit doctors of their licenses - I mean I understand the need for due process since it is a person's major livelihood but when a doctor is throwing things from balconies; has been arrested several times for assault; attacks a pregnant woman with an umbrella and follows patients at the hospital with a camera because he thinks they are with some kind of international spy ring - and oh yeah - toilets are communicating with him - I think the public should be spared from his medical services.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

oh wow. he's really gone over the edge. Yeah, I think it's time for a psychological review. I'd keep dates, times, even videos if you can catch him in public. so sorry you have to deal w/all of that.

• Laura Mac
    4 years ago

Beth soon! My son is home for another week until he starts his new, post college job in San Diego. And crazy work deadlines, so in a few weeks realistically! I'm ready to go get inspired!

• Laura Mac
    4 years ago

@Helen, that is so crazy! Just keep yourself locked into your beautiful new place!! Haha

Well, if you are not doing lamps, then I vote A BIG YES for those beautiful sconces. Maybe you can cut out something in the same 'size' and see if the dimension/size is good first...

Or, what if you go bigger with 2 gorgeous crystal antique chandelier sconces? There are some great places near you selling antiques at auction, etc., or you may even still have some, and you can just have them rewired.... The crystal would allow your paper to show and bring the glam you love.

• Helen
    4 years ago

@Laura - My designer thinks the scale of the sconces is right - they need to go "up" from the junction box so they don't look too low and they can't be too wide or too high. At first I was trying to find sconces that were more "of the style" of the chandelier but I just couldn't find anything that worked - and didn't fight it. This way the sconces are in line with the rest of the stuff and so the chandelier can be its own design element.

And in terms of using a designer, the cost of goods ordering from her - even with her markup is still less than the lowest price I was able to source the sconces from.

It truly is astounding all the things one has to think about - I am changing my exterior door knobs - the previous owner must have been really paranoid as there are three locks PLUS a chain on the door and they are all hideous eyesores. Code requires that all handles in a multifamily residence be levers AND the door must unlock just be operating the lever so that in an emergency someone doesn't get trapped because they don't know which thing to unlock. So finally located something that is Arts & Crafts in an oil rubbed bronze finish so it complements the rest of the hardware and the condo decided to paint the doors black which meant that oil rubbed bronze would look ridiculous - or rather would NOT be seen at all. Luckily Emtek can provide it with oil rubbed bronze on the inside and brass on the exterior - so problem solved.

Now I am looking for peephole/door knockers that would complement the door handles. They have some fun "speakeasy" style Art Deco ones.

• alcapulco
    4 years ago

how to update this fireplace??? thinking of removing evrrthing and putting a light stone or tile with just a floating wood mantle. what do u think??

• alcapulco
    4 years ago

and it would go all the way to the ceiling

• Kathi Steele
    4 years ago

I would need to see the rest of the room, but I like your fireplace.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

crimson,,,so many diff things you could do.

some suggestions.

do a zellige tile (this is Cle'Tile)

a cement tile
    (notice here they did millwork all the way to the ceiling)

(or something similar), large wood mantle and do a hearth. (you can find one solid piece)

You'd have to cut into your wood floor so it would sit flush, but it gives it more of a finished look to the FP

same idea, but it's done here with tile. also shows the other measurements of the mantle if you decide to do that

more millwork al the way up

i like this one for yours because it gives you an idea on what you could do to the right. either do something like this, or the one shown above w/the shelves

basically what you have, but this is a really nice black/white marble. notice the hearth

just basic tile around the box, mantle, mill work above it, sconces and a built in off to the side.

and lastly, tile all the way up (you could pick any tile or stone) but I like the built in bench off to the side.

• emilikins
    4 years ago

Excuse our mess, but had to share getting the doors and drawers back on after painting our lower cabinets. We'll do the uppers and pantry side a light gray after putting in a new backsplash (subway herringbone). Of course, now that we have some color in this orangey-brown kitchen (walls are currently a textured wallpaper, so we can't paint that yet), I noticed some of the cabinets don't hang evenly. We'll tweak the new hinges and see if it helps. Even with a half-demo'd back splash (from counter top install) and everything else still in the 80s, I love it.

kitchen · More Info

General Finishes milk paint + high performance top coat. I'm sure our two children will turn them into shabby chic over the next few years. Husband is now obsessing over the old oven sticking out (and not dying), so I'll take bets on how long before a scratch and dent range finds its way here. We do have a gas hook up, apparently, and he's obsessed with getting one. (I personally before electric, but I'm not primary cook).

• alcapulco
    4 years ago

as usual Beth,, you are so very helpful. here's the open area . the fireplace is off center and that's why I bought a long console for the TV. the amt of rm I have to the right of the fireplace is pretty small but I love the white shelves, bench,,etc. I'm trying to brighten the room cause the floors have to stay. looked at some stone and so many choices but there again nothing dark. in the meantime ,,,,as our life was turned upside down in Oct,,,my husband had open heart surgery in May and is still slowly healing. I swear it was somewhat due to the broken heart syndrome,,we still miss our son so painfully much. So,,,,,I'm trying to keep busy redecorating!!

• alcapulco
    4 years ago

some of the stone I saw. comments are welcome!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

oh man,,so sorry. hope husband is doing better. I remember going through mine and thinking the entire year was a complete mess. It will never be over for you two, but it will hurt less as the days go by. I'm glad you're keeping busy.

Your room is very pretty. I think putting in a nice bench with some cushions would look great to the right. see what you think of something like these:

ignore the window, but you get the idea

as for that 1st stone (floor/decor) I think something like that would compete w/your flooring, because it's the same type of layout. Do something more square like the 8x8 cement or porcelain tiles, or, go w/the large format.

what you have really isn't horrible and it works w/your art.

what if you changed your mantle to more of medium reclaimed wood type?

something like this wood type:

there's something about your mantle that is a little off to me. maybe it's too skimpy on the sides?

look at these and then at yours. see what you think

the sides are a little wider. you could also try mimicking what they 've done here. increase the width and maybe top it w/the wood.

• alcapulco
    4 years ago

Great ideas and love your honesty. I love the wood mantle. probably will have to dismantle everything and start over if I want the granite off.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

i kind of like these polished ceramic quill tiles from tilebar. they'd be pretty on the inset of the surround, w/the mantle coming down around it

8x8 tiles

• NewEnglandgal
    4 years ago

Very pretty Beth!

Helen whatever happened to Dr Death? Did he get evicted yet? Is the gf back? Inquiring minds want to know.

• Helen
    4 years ago

Ha ha - I live in a condo so Dr. Death can't be evicted as he is a fee simple owner. One can only hope that he will lose his unit because of the enormous amount of the lawsuits against him but that will be slow. I avoided going up in the elevator with him last week but he seems to be on his meds so I haven't heard any real craziness except for the fact that he continued to live in his unit and I can only imagine what it was like at Ground Zero. I think I mentioned he is actually a doctor with privileges at Cedars Sinai - it's pretty scary to think that someone as certifiably insane as he could be treating people. I think I also mentioned that he was carted away twice to be put on psychiatric holds but the longest they can hold someone involuntarily is 48 hours. I think the girlfriend is back IN his unit because they have had a dysfunctional relationship for awhile but my ears on the ground haven't let me know about anything "interesting".

• Helen
    4 years ago

Beth H or any other people with tile expertise, I am still trying to find a tile for my balcony. I posted a separate thread here

Balcony Tile

I'll post it in full but briefly Fireclay which Beth suggested was gorgeous but turned out to be $145 per square foot which was a bit more than I wanted to spend for balcony tile.

Do I need to give up my dream of a balcony with Malibu Art Pottery or similarly brightly colored tiles?

It looks as though I will have to give up my dream of having my balcony tiled in the style of Malibu Art Pottery or the equivalent.

The balcony is in Los Angeles so isn't subject to freezing temperatures. However, most of the Malibu Art Tile I have found is too high as the tile on my balcony needs to be thin because if it is too thick it will come up too high on the threshold of my sliding door which means that there is potential issues if water gets too high which it has occasionally done in an El Nino deluge.

I had thought I had sourced what I wanted with Fireclay as it had the look and was thin enough to use. However, when I priced it out - alas it came out to be about $150 per square foot which was more than I wanted to spend for balcony tile.

I am now going in the direction of terrazzo tile - something in this style but not black and beige. I'm waiting for samples. It's nice but not what my heart craves. Before I give up my dream, does anyone know of sources for Malibu Art Tiles or even tiles that have more of an Arts & Crafts feel.

Of course any other suggestions for balcony tile is welcomed

Thanks

This is my inspiration although the design I worked out on the Fireclay site had different colors as I didn't want a red to be the most prominent color

This is the Terrazzo tile that I will probably have to settle for but probably not in black and white.

• Hi/ Hola
    4 years ago

Work in progress! Carpenter is staining cabinet does as we speak! They are being stained in espresso, but these here will have glass.
    Ps I have to put my coffee bar somewhere!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

Helen, what if you went w/the Mexican Talavera tiles? (can't remember if I mentioned this) they also have the relief pattern. I believe they run $15 a sq ft.

http://mexicanarttile.com/collections/ you can look at them here

Same kind you would see on the old spanish homes in Calif

you could do a 'rug' w/the saltillo tiles

my tile place 'State College Distributors' in Anaheim has quite a few to choose to from. go down there and talk to George S. tell him I sent you.

the other option would be to do the encaustic tiles in the brighter colors, and just have a transition threshold to the other floor. you could also put in a drain along the threshold (like a long linear drain) in case of water overflow.

or, can you tile a wall w/the encaustic tiles? do something diff for the floor so you won't have to worry about heights?

last option, use a really good porcelain tile. they're thinner.

Tilebar has porcelain 'encaustic/cement' tiles. some really nice designs too . not as colorful as the hand painted ones though

• NewEnglandgal
    4 years ago

Helen well, you certainly never have a dull moment! People think because someone is a doctor they are blemish free. I would not want a doctor with those issues taking care of me. I used to volunteer at a Women's Resource Center. One day a doctor who works at the hospital I do came in to tell me she was being abused by her husband. I wasn't overly surprised but you just never knows what goes in in people's lives.

Hope you can find a tile you like for your balcony. Beth has a good selection it seems!

• Helen
    4 years ago

Thanks Beth - I will check out your suggestions. The issue I have found is that ceramic tiles are generally 1/2" or thicker - especially the ones that mimic the feel of Malibu Art Pottery. Porcelain tiles seem to be made in the 3/8" thickness that I need but my "assignment" tomorrow is to call all the tile sources and see what they actually have in 3/8" thickness.

• Hutchae84 Zone 8b/PNW
    4 years ago

Helen- You have been through so much with your remodel I think you deserve a vacation to Seville, Spain or Morocco to personally source some balcony tile and enjoy some rest and relaxation ;)

• Helen
    4 years ago

Last week was a bit hectic culminating in the remodel version of The Marx Brother's Night at The Opera as I had various workers coming in to do various stuff as well as a visit from the cable guy to move my modem and router from my bedroom where it had been originally placed when I moved back in October 2018 and still didn't have the room divider built which houses the television servicing the den/office and "living room"

My room divider houses what I call my stripper pole television as the TV is mounted on a pole which turns so I can watch television from either my den/office or from the "living room".

And of course the television in the bedroom was disconnected from cable and so he has to make another service call this morning.

The electrician was here to hang the chandelier in the dining room as well as change switch plates to black and add some smart switches for my bedroom. Naturally when he got here, he didn't like the smart switches I ordered and convinced me that I should go with the Lutron Caseta hub so he'll be back. All this to have the digital equivalent of a "clapper" - if I'm in bed, I don't want to get OUT OF BED to turn off the sconces in the bedroom :-).

Because my ceilings are concrete it isn't possible to move any lighting junctions in the ceiling and the one over the dining room table is not centered so it has to be swagged. Probably when my condo was built in 1965, swagging was considered the height of elegance but not so much anymore. My designer had recommended a sock and so I thought okay but when I saw what it actually looked like it seemed ridiculous to have what reminded me of Seinfeld's "poufy shirt" covering the chain. To my "non-designer" eyes the cure seemed worse than the cure so against the objections of both the electrician and designer, I had it removed. The chandelier is an old Art Nouveau chandelier that originally had small chains swagging from the bottom and over the course of time some of these had just fallen off. Amazingly what seems like a simple item to procure requires four months for the lighting people to get. But the chandelier is hung and presumably the decorative chains can be added when they come in without having to take down the chandelier.

I had the carpenter who did all my cabinets and other wood stuff fabricate a medallion for my bedroom chandelier. My designer had found one which I loved but the company never responded - oddest thing since there is both a website and EBAY presence. At any rate, I am so glad I held out for this one as I absolutely am in LOVE with it. It's got an Art Deco feel and so even though the chandelier is Rococco Revival, it ties in with other design elements in my room since my sconces are vaguely Art Decoish and my wood furniture is my old Art Deco Waterfall furniture.

Anyway long winded Saturday morning missive but if we can't share with all of you on this thread, who else can we LOL?

I think the angle I shot at - I was in bed - doesn't do it justice

This is the chandelier with the new medallion

This is the sconce which is on either side of my bed

This is the bed with the sconces - I still haven't finished in terms of the bed treatment. I got a faux mink bedspread which I should start using to finishing it off.

This is a shot of the room divider which houses my television as viewed from my den/office.

You can actually glimpse my chandelier over dining table to the left completely with tacky swagged chain :-)

• emilikins
    4 years ago

@Helen Those are chairs are kind of amazing!

• Helen
    4 years ago

I inherited the chairs from my mother and I always assumed she had bought them new in the 1960's from one of the middle brow furniture stores in New York City that were frequented by nice Jewish women - e.g. Bloomingdales or W. J. Sloanes (not to be confused with a furniture store that is also called Sloanes).

They seem to be replicas or knockoffs or inspired by a very classic chair designed by Emile-Jacques Ruhlmann who was a fairly famous designer of Art Deco furniture at the height of the original Art Deco time. I am posting a picture of the original and there are subtle differences in terms of the wood construction but to the casual eye, they unmistakably have striking design similarities.

My mother bought lots of used furniture so it might well have been one of her finds from the used furniture places she frequented when I was growing up. That is also likely since Art Deco furniture had gone out of fashion in the time period. She picked up some amazing stuff - Chinese Art Deco silk rugs - Chinese Armoire from the 1920's, Koramandel screens as well as a lot of just plain tchotchkes. :-).

Ruhlmann Website

Ruhlmann Furniture

• Helen
    4 years ago

Another day and a bit more progress as the electrician came to install the high tech version of the clapper - The Lutron Caseta. Obviously overkill for my circumstances as I wanted the ability to turn off my sconce from my bed WITHOUT getting out of bed to do so but it escalated a bit so I had the switches connected to both sconces AND the bedroom chandelier.

It certainly has the coolness factor as I can control on, off and dimming through Siri - Siri - please turn on the left sconce LOL. I can imagine that this would be awesome in a single family home where one could control lights on and off when it's dark or when one is away for security purposes. Highly recommend for those purposes - for me it's essential Clap On - Clap Off - Clapper LOL

• Michael Bay
    3 years ago

I'm moving to a new house so I'm looking for some ideas of kitchen renovation. The problem is our new kitchen will be very small, so there will be no place on the counter. What do you think, which kitchen gadgets I can get rid of? Since my family loooves cooking it will be a real problem.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH