SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
claire_de_luna

Chicken stock: hours of simmering vs. pressure cooking

claire_de_luna
15 years ago

I'm changing my method of making stock after my last experience. I've always had time to put the pot on and let the stock simmer as long as it needed to, but I had company and didn't want to take as much time as usual to just get it done. So...I roasted a chicken early in the a.m. (over thinly sliced potatoes to make roasted chips which were delicious btw), picked my bird clean and threw the bones with vegs into the pressure cooker for 15 minutes. FIFTEEN MINUTES LATER, I had the most delicious chicken stock I think I've ever made. It probably took as long to cut and clean the vegetables, than it took for them to cook! DH thought it tasted really Fresh, which was so nice. I made chicken and noodles with that broth, and it was easily some of the best I've ever made...so much so we're ''discussing'' how to fairly parcel out the leftovers!

What I'm reminded of is that sometimes, we tend to cook (or simmer) things to death. It's why we often have dry chicken, pork chops or beef. (My crockpot is in long-term storage just for this reason, although I find it's great for hot beverages.) I guess I hadn't actually realized you can easily do the same when making stock as well. While I thought long simmering added complexity, too long can also muddy the taste.

Has anyone else noticed the difference between pressure cooking and simmering for hours? I'm curious as to what you think of the different methods.

Comments (22)