Chinese Chicken Stock Question

chas045

Many years ago I once made wonton soup that must have been from western chicken broth that at least in memory seemed similar to a Chinese restaurant style soup. However, I recently tried again (too long ago to remember the minimal details) that was not similar, or good.

I have been reading a couple of those old Jeff Smith Frugal Gourmet books that indicate that Chinese chicken broth is different from western. His specifically was chicken with a little ginger and what he called 'turnip balls' or preserved turnip or radish. He only suggested one hour of simmer. A few days later I finally had the sense to GOOGLE for the Chinese versions and saw that no one suggested the turnip thing, but they were universally more minimal (maybe ginger and pepper, perhaps garlic or onion) and mostly with less cooking time than Western, although some got up to three hours. Oh, and they mostly suggested the quick hot water wash and rinse before the simmer.

I'm not sure about my original wanton soup attempt, but the recent failure came from stock of cooked rotisserie chicken leftovers, backs etc. that is my basic source and approach to the end of some cooked chicken. I suppose the pre-cooked issue makes a darker muddier broth.

So: does anyone know if this turnip ball thing is even slightly important? Is it required to use raw chicken? I am also concerned or surprised that the shorter cooking times especially with regular chicken parts rather than mostly thinner 'spare' parts is long enough to get the food value. It reminds me of an old joke complaining about weak broth 'that the cook must have walked the chicken through it wearing hip boots.'

SaveComment2Like
Comments (2)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fawnridge (Ricky)

I can't speak for Chinese chicken broth, but Jewish chicken soup has turnips.

1 Like Save    
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
moosemac

I don't use chicken stock for Wonton Soup. I use pork broth and minced cooked pork in the wontons. To make the broth I typically add garlic, a dash of soy sauce, a dash of lime juice and fresh ginger to the bones and water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for about an hour then strain.

Save    

Related Stories

Gardening Guides No-Regret Plants: 5 Questions Smart Shoppers Ask
Quit wasting money and time at the garden center. This checklist will ensure that the plants you're eyeing will stick around in your yard
Full Story
Organizing Create Your Own Checklist for a Well-Stocked Kitchen
Personalize the kitchen with your own must-haves from our list of top cooking tools, small appliances, pots, pans and more
Full Story
Product Picks Guest Picks: The Well-Stocked Starter Kitchen
We’ve got all the kitchen basics and tableware you need (or that recent grad needs) to make cooking a joy
Full Story
Doors 5 Questions to Ask Before Installing a Barn Door
Find out whether that barn door you love is the right solution for your space
Full Story
Life The Question That Can Make You Love Your Home More
Change your relationship with your house for the better by focusing on the answer to something designers often ask
Full Story
Backyard Ideas She Built a Chicken Coop and Was Surprised by What Happened Next
A Southern California homeowner and animal lover shares her building tips and advice on raising happy backyard hens
Full Story
Most Popular Simple Pleasures: Stocking Up for Winter
Have these essentials and treats on hand to make even blustery days and snowed-in time feel special
Full Story
Kitchen Design 7 Tricky Questions to Ask When Planning Your New Kitchen
Addressing these details will ensure a smoother project with personalized style
Full Story
Dining Rooms 5 Questions to Ask Before You Design Your Dining Room
Set up your dining room with the colors, furnishings and artwork you love, and you'll never be hungry for style satisfaction again
Full Story