SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Fastest Chicken Stock, Other ''Speed Tricks''?

John Liu
13 years ago

Let's say you've decided to make a dish tonight. It calls for some very tasty homemade chicken stock. Darn, you've allowed the freezer to run dry of stock. So you need to make some, as quickly as you possibly can. But if you're like me, your usual chicken stock is a long, low and slow ritual, many hours of contemplative simmering. What to do?

I know, give the kids $10 and have them run to the store and get some low-sodium tetra-pack chicken stock - I'd usually do that too. But let's say you're in one of those stubborn moods when you insist on cooking from scratch.

What are your recipes and tricks for ''speed chicken stock''?

I tried one recently. It worked, for what I needed it for, but would need another step or two to be suitable for most recipes that require chicken stock. Here it is:

- Find some chicken scraps amidst the refrigerator velcro. I had two wings and a thigh from a mostly-consumed rotisserie chicken. Pluck out the bones. Leave the cartilage, skin, and fat on - we're in a hurry, right?

- Throw the chicken scraps, plus some onion, celery, a bit of carrot, a bit of garlic, a bay leaf - whatever you'd usually put in your long-simmering chicken stock pot - into a food processor. Zap it into finely shredded mush. Sounds yummy already, urgh.

- Scrape the mush into a pot, add boiling water and some white wine. about 6X as much liquid as solid. Uncovered, high heat, get it to a fast boil, keep the spurs on, boil it as hard as your range can manage and keep boiling until 1/3 of the liquid is gone. Or 1/2, if you have time.

- I stopped here, with an intensely flavoured but very cloudy stock. I didn't need a clear stock for my recipe. Elapsed time from when I started rummaging in the refrigerator was a little over 30 minutes. The additional step would have been to strain the cloudy stock through cheesecloth or a chinois or both, maybe 5 minutes?

Okay, I know that doesn't sound very appetizing, was a crime against cookery, guilty as charged, but it worked and I was able to make dinner with only a modest delay.

Any favorite ''speed stock'' tricks? In fact, let's broaden this:

Do you have any tricks for significantly speeding up common cooking tasks, preparations, or recipes? Anyone got a 30-minute coq au vin, a super-quick boeuf borguignon, an instant bolognaise? You all showed me ''speed risotto'', there's got to be more speed tricks here.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022