SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenswrens

Pressure Cooking Times for Broth/Stock

jenswrens
10 years ago

In my previous post on making broths, Dave (digdirt) said:

Cooking times:

Beef bones @ 15lbs. covered with water for 45 mins. (vs. 3-4 hours in regular pot.

Pork bones @15lbs. covered with water for 30 mins. (vs. 3-4 hours in regular pot.

Poultry bones @15 lbs. covered with water for 12-25 mins. (vs. 45 mins in regular pot)

Dave

So, I dug out my old Presto pressure cooker, found the pdf manual online, and decided to make some beef broth. The manual recipe is for beef soup (says to strain later for broth), and calls for cooking for only 12 minutes. The recipe is for a 4qt cooker; mine is a 6qt and it says to adjust the recipe by 1.5x. Doesn't say anything about adjusting the cooking time.

It seems that every beef stock recipe I find online, no matter what type of pressure cooker, calls for a much longer cooking time than 12 minutes. They all say something like 45 - 75 min.

What is with the 12 minutes? Is that correct? Should I increase it to Dave's suggestions? Is that just rocking time on my old-fashioned first-generation PC and maybe everyone else's time is the total time? Or what?

Comments (3)