SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Making And Saving Stock, Broth, Demi-glace?

John Liu
13 years ago

I'm curious what stocks and broths you make and save? Any tried and true tips or formulas?

My habit is to make chicken stock whenever I have a couple of carcasses, and freeze it in big ziplock bags doubled. Some commercial chicken stocks - the tetrapack ones - are pretty good and fairly low-sodium, but I just like using my own when I can. Less frequently, I'll make beef stock or ham stock. Commercial versions of these aren't so good, I think. Canned beef consommtastes yucky to me.

The other thing to make, I guess, is veal stock, and thence demi-glace. You don't see that on supermarket shelves. But veal bones don't grow on trees and I never plan ahead enough to order them, so I don't make veal stock.

A sort of quasi demi-glace from beef stock is still great to have, I think. I put four ice cube trays in the freezer this evening. 7 pounds of roasted beef bones (neck and knuckle bones, coated with flour and tomato paste) and roasted veggies (onion, carrot, celery) into a 20 qt pot full of water, simmer until reduced by 2/3rds (pot is half-full now), skim fat and strain the stock (I use cheesecloth in a conical strainer) to a big bowl, wash the pot, pour in a bottle of red wine, reduce wine by 1/2, add the strained stock and some chopped shallots, reduce again by 1/2, skim and strain, then freeze in handy portions.

Not so long ago, I made aspic. A whole bunch of aspic. Okay, it was yummy, but you only want to eat just so much, now what to do with the remaining jiggling pounds of the stuff? Well, for the next month, my soups and stews were that much tastier, so it wasn't all for naught.

As part of my attempt to learn Japanese cooking, I now also keep a bottle of dashi in the refrigerator. Just a convenience.

There are some threads on homemade boullion. I'd sure like to know how to do that, if it is practical. I'm not a big fan of commercial boullion cubes though they do come in handy sometimes (backpacking, camping).

What do you do? Use all commercial stocks? Make all your own? Do you go to the trouble of making demi with veal bones? Share some recipes?

I'm thinking of making a big batch of demi and giving it as a Christmas present to the avid cooks I know. That would be weird.

Comments (9)