SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairie_love

beef broth again

prairie_love
15 years ago

Help! I followed the advice from the previous thread about making broth, and made some beef broth last week. While it is MUCH better than my previous attempt, it still is not what I want. I didn't feel the flavor was as deep as it should be. I compared it to canned, and I was SO happy to not have that "processed" taste, but even so, the canned had a stronger beefy flavor.

So here is what I did. I started with 8 pounds of beef parts - short ribs, neck bones and "soup bones" - and roasted at 400°F for about an hour and a half. I then put the beef pieces in a stock pot and used boiling water to scrape up drippings from the raosting pan which I added to the beef. I added enough more water to cover the beef by about an inch and a half (about 6 quarts total). Brought it to a simmer and partially covered. I tried to keep it at a very gentle simmer with no rolling boil. I simmered for about 4 hours, and skimmed scum as I could. At that point I needed to stop for the night, so I turned the heat off and transferred the pot to my "second refrigerator". Left it there overnight.

The next day I removed the hardened fat layer, brought it back to a simmer, and simmered for about two more hours. I then added about 4 cups chopped onion, 2/3 cup chopped carrot, 1 cup chopped celery, 1/2 cup celery leaves, fresh parsley (about 7 stems), about 10 whole peppercorns, 2 bay leaves, and 2 sprigs thyme. I continued to simmer for about two hours. At this point I again moved it to the refrigerator for the night.

The next day I warmed it just enough to make it liquid, then aliquoted and froze. I've since used most of it in french onion soup.

So, where could I have improved the preparation? How can I get a deeper beef flavor? Did I use too much water for the amount of beef? Did I not simmer long enough? What else?

Ann, who is now determined to make excellent beef broth.....

Comments (15)