SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amck2

Food Network/Flour Bakery Sticky Buns

amck2
15 years ago

I know, normally I'm looking for help with healthy whole grain bread baking.....but I happened to be tuned to the Food Network when Bobby Flay was having a showdown with Joanne Chang of Flour Bakery in Boston whose sticky buns are touted as being the world's best.

They look amazing, and I wanted to give them a try. The recipe is posted on FN's site, but many reviews claim it is hard to follow. That was my experience, too. Right now I have them in the 2-3 hr. rise but I am not feeling too confident about the results.

This recipe takes a lot of time and prep, not to mention the cost of all the ingredients. I'm wondering if any of you have tried it and can offer advice.

My major questions are - The yeast. Recipe calls for 1 oz. One of the reviewers noted that Chang probably was referring to cake yeast, not instant or active dry. I found a conversion table online and used that to get the amount for active dry yeast, which was what I had. Does that sound right?

The second thing was that there were no dimensions given for the pan. The recipe says six servings, but it also says to cut the dough in 1" increments, which came to 12 rolls. I used a quarter sheet baking pan and put all 12 rolls in it to rise. Hope that was okay...but it just doesn't feel right.

Anyway, if anyone's familiar with this recipe I would love to hear your thoughts and suggestions. I'll know in a few hours how mine turn out...........

Comments (7)