SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michoumonster

need help with picking finishes for entry staircase

michoumonster
12 years ago

Hi all, Our house style is Spanish modern/spanish revival/mediterranean, (not sure exactly what it is called). We just finished picking out our hardwood flooring. It was not our first choice walnut, but was on sale and we were afraid the house might be too dark with walnut. Anyway, now we need to pick out tile for the entry that will coordinate with the new wood choice. Can you help please?

This is the wood flooring that we chose, white oak, a species called quercus, which has more yellow tones than walnut but is lighter.

This is the stain color on all of our prefinished doors

My first question is what tile should I choose to tone down the yellows?

I want to tile the entry to make it brighter as it is feeling too dark and small.

My second question is about my staircase in the entry -- I would like the staircase steps to be wood to be less slippery, and then do tile on the risers for more durability.

Here is a pic of what I was thinking for the stairs-- the issue is that these stairs are darker and finer than the wood we chose which is handscraped. Would it still look ok to do it like this pic?

Third question is I need to take the tile all along the hall to the dining room and kitchen, so I need to go with something durable. I was thinking marble or something whitish/light, but am afraid of marble floors in a kitchen. Would limestone work or be too yellow? Any other suggestions?

Thanks so much for your advice. Sorry my post is so long!!

Comments (7)