SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
littleriverbb

Need help choosing colors - entryway floor and stairs

littleriverbb
15 years ago

We've been working on a renovation for quite a while now and I am completely stuck on what to do with the floor in the entryway and the stairs. The only "definite" in the space is that the walls will be painted in SW Ivoire (you can see a bit of the color on the side wall at the top of the stairs in the bottom photo). We are also planning on painting the floor in the entryway and the risers for the stairs. I am leaning towards a dark brown chocolate color for the floor (similar to the darkest color you can see on the floor now). My first thought on the risers would be to do them white (we will have white window trim and I like the look of the white risers I've seen in photos), but I am worried about it having too much contrast with a dark floor and I am a little worried about them getting scuffed up too quickly. I would definitely consider something else if it were part of a different overall color scheme. My biggest problem is what to do with the stair treads and railing (which have all been replaced with new pine). Here are some photos...

Should I stain the pine treads or paint them?

If I stain the pine, do I try to make it a dark color so it won't contrast with the floor too much?

Is it even possible to stain pine a dark color?

Do I abandon the dark chocolate color for the floor and try to find a paint that will be similar to whatever color I have on the treads?

Do I just paint the treads the same color as the floor?

What should I do with the railing? (Paint, stain, or a combination?)

Do I paint the risers white or some other color?

Do I consider painting the risers the same color as the floor, but stain/paint the treads a different color?

I'm so confused!!!

There is one small complication that you may have noticed in the photo... there is a small landing where the stairs turn the corner that will need to be painted. It is actually a "trap door" for a small storage space. I am figuring I will need to paint it the same color as the floor, but it will need to be considered in the overall look.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Comments (6)