SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rachelellen_gw

Too much _____ in the pantry.

rachelellen
14 years ago

I wonder if any of you have had this problem? Every so often, one of those brain cells I destroyed in my early 20s will detach and drift around my brain while I'm grocery shopping and I won't remember that I already picked up this or that last time. Occasionally, it will happen several times in succession regarding the same item, and I end up with too many packages of whatever it is in the pantry.

Now, if it happens with something like Mayo or tomato paste, no problem...I mean, we'll use it up sooner or later, but...

Lars posted a recipe in another thread for a stuffing made with grits...which got me started on this topic. I was so excited to find a recipe to use up some of the 4 or 5 boxes of grits I ended up with after one of my episodes!

I have three LARGE cylinders of oatmeal...two of the 5 minute kind, one of the instant kind. Neither of which we really eat, as we prefer the longer cooking oat flakes or steel cut. I believe I bought the instant by accident once when I meant to buy 5 minute for camping, bought the right kind next trip and then forgot I'd bought it already on the trip after that.

I suppose I'll eventually make enough oatmeal cookies to use up the 5 minute kind...but what the heck shall I do with the instant?

Camping was also the culprit when I purchased 7 or 8 cans of potatoes. I don't use canned potatoes at home, but I suppose it's a nostalgia thing, making fried canned potato and leftover meat hash when camping. I guess I could use those up in soups or something, but I never think of it as I always have fresh potatoes on hand.

I also have enough Worcestershire sauce to last me at least 2 years (Costco, large bottles, double pack, several times.)

Make me feel better...do you do this too? (And, any recipes involving instant oats or grits while you're at it would be much appreciated.)

Comments (37)