SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Too many pantries? Too many narrow spaces?

plllog
15 years ago

I'm getting down to choosing between the pretty and the practical. The cabinet maker will do whatever I want, but I have to choose.

Here's my sketch of the layout. It shows the old windows, which you all have convinced me have to go, but it's close enough for these questions. The new windows will be counter level. The cabinet marked "display" will actually be a very shallow one with pegboard inside for utensils that are hard to put in drawers:

This is a quick and dirty elevation, looking at the ovens, which the contractor did--not the real plan by the cabinet maker. I'll be using the area under the window for baking prep, i.e., mixer, pans, cannisters, etc. Above the ovens and window are open shelves.

I asked for it to be like this, but I was imagining narrower cabinets on either side of the ovens. As drawn it's 62" from the stove wall to the cupboard.

Question 1: Is this enough counter space for mixing and pouring? I'll be rolling, kneading and shaping on the island. Ideally I'd like to have 6" more, but it would help to know what others think.

The cupboards flanking the ovens are 10.125" wide as shown. I have a whole bank of 7" deep cupboards in the butler's pantry, and I don't think I need more, though it can be useful.

Question 2: If I cut down the cupboards flanking the ovens to 7" or 8", will they be as useful?

I can put the ladder in the one between the baking and ovens, which would be useful, because otherwise it'll float around the laundry room, loose.

Question 3:Can I put spices in a cupboard by the ovens? Will they get icky? How much heat gets past the insulation nowadays? It's the Gaggenau combi/steam over convection. Because instead of the ladder it would be great to use that space for spices, oil, etc., pull out. But I'd rather waste it on the ladder than wreck my pantry items, especially as some things tend to stick around awhile. Same for the other side, which would have to be canned goods and the like.

Question 4: Would it be better to give up the symmetry, cut the cabinet between the baking counter and ovens, and make the door side cabinet deeper? I was thinking of storing vases, pitchers and spare bric-a-brac there.

Question 5: Is the whole thing too tall? I do want the ovens fairly high (i.e., waist and shoulder height, rather than knee and waist height). The open shelves are for decorative bowls and the like, and to keep the prospect from seeming too boxed in. The contractor shows the height of the cabinets as the same as the door and window. Wouldn't it be better to end at the top of the ovens? That is, without that little cabinet on top?

Please help. I'm all in a muddle.

Comments (23)