SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
20something

Help with narrow family room/too many antiques

20something
5 years ago

I need help! My family room is long and narrow, with a large Colonial floor to ceiling brick fireplace at one end. One side of the room has large windows and an opening (sliding glass door sized) into a sunroom. The decor has not been updated for 20 years, mostly because I can't figure out a furniture placement solution. I would like to move the TV to the opposite end of the room (not shown), and would prefer not to mount it over the fireplace as we have that already in our entertainment room. I hate the brick, and the brass fireplace doors. I am hoping to get rid of ALL the furniture in this room, but will keep accessories - lamps, porcelain, hanging cupboards, and clocks, though they can be used elsewhere. I am on the fence about the oriental carpet as it makes the already dark room much darker. It also makes the room look smaller. I had a solid white rug in the room previously. However, I have oriental rugs all over the rest of this level of my house, and was trying for a cohesive look. I feel like I am living in Colonial Williamsburg. I need updating, something more modern and inviting, and desperately need new sofas and chairs, art, and new window treatments. Please offer suggestions! Thanks :)

:)

Comments (25)