SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stefaniematt_gw

Painting Exterior (including brick) of my house . . . help!

stefaniematt
11 years ago

Hi all . . . this is the first time I've posted in these forums. I live in a 1960s colonial with very ugly, dated, tacky gray brick. I've attached a photo. Believe it or not, it looks a lot better than it used to . . . we put on the small front porch (used to just be flat) and ripped on very dated evergreen bushes last year and replaced the landscaping . . . which is still growing in. My husband and I are inclined to paint the entire house . . . bricks included. But we are a bit at a loss of what palate to use. Do we do the siding and the brick the same color? What about shutters and door (planning to replace the front door with a nicer one when we paint)? We live in Michigan so I want something that will look nice in the snowy winter as well. I'm kind of leaning toward a mocha color for the brick and siding with a muted blue on the shutters. But then what do I do with the door? Other ideas include taupe with black shutters, some shade of green . . . maybe even a creamy yellow-ish beige? My husband (who's color-blind) suggested a shade of blue for the brick and siding. My inclination is that we should stay neutral. We have a red brick house right next to us! What are everyone's thoughts about painting the brick, color combinations and any other ideas to help bring turn my house into something not quite so drab and dated!

Comments (4)