SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tenloris_gw

How long did it take for your GC to price your job?

tenloris
16 years ago

Hi:

I have been lurking on this site for a few months and I can't get over what a helpful bunch everyone is!!

I have a question about what my time frame expectations should be, in regards to getting bids on the work that I need done on my home.

Also, how many different bids did you obtain?

I have plans which I obtained from an architect. I am planning a 700 ft addition and an existing kitchen/bath remodel. Not a "high end" addition or remodel, but it is sorely needed space since Hurricane Wilma wiped out my Florida Room-which was real living area, and my kitchen is looking very tired in fact, everything is breaking since I have wanted to renovate for the last few years, and I refuse to buy anything in the meantime :)

I live in S FL, and I am very wary of all of the shady construction scams that seem to abound down here! Anyway, I have gotten names of 4 different, and supposedly reputable, GC's from friends near the trade, and forwarded my plans to them all. I contacted 1 in either November or early December, and emailed the plans to his secretary per his instructions....He has not even called me back! (I have called and left messages with his secretary on 4 or 5 occasions) I gave the plans to another GC the first week of January, and he is telling me that he is still waiting on pricing from a couple of his sub-contractors,. I did receive pricing from #3 this weekend-it took approximately 3 weeks to price out-which did not feel was "too long" but I feel his qualifications may be the weakest, and the 4th GC has had the plans for 2 weeks, and no word from him yet (I don't expect it yet-I know it must take some time to price it out). I don't know what my expectations should be when waiting for pricing information. I don't know if the problem is the type of job it is, or what. I don't want to nag, but it makes me feel that they just aren't interested in the job. ...And that is fine, just tell me so, and I will move on! I guess I was thinking that with the extreme downturn in the housing market down here, it would be a little easier to get bids. I am in sales myself, and if someone calls me and leaves a message-even if I don't have an immediate answer for someone, I acknowledge the call within 24 hours, and I always give a time frame of when to expect something back from me...

Thanks for any input, and if you have any names of any GC's in Palm Beach county, that would be appreciated as well! :)

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz