SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maggiepie11_gw

help me lay out all these elements!

maggiepie11
10 years ago

hi everyone,

some of you may know we're building a house and i'm planning to have several rooms completely designed/decorated as we move in. i've been refinishing furniture and doing various projects for the past year in preparation. one of the rooms i'd like to complete upon move-in is my son's bedroom. he'll be close to turning 4 by the time we move in. *sigh* 4 sounds SOOO much older than 3. :(

he's a very serious, contemplative and sensitive little boy. he's also tidy and likes things orderly. his bedroom is pretty large for a kids room. it's just under 14x16, but there's one wall that's completely useless in terms of furniture placement due to a big double door closet opening, and his private bath entrance. there's another half wall taken up by a 6' wide window.

i've got lots of elements complete, and am thinking about art for his walls but need to figure out which walls i'm working with depending on where i put the bed etc.

i've also been experimenting with ideas for art, and while i think i found the perfect fit - in terms of subject matter, color, relevance to the rest of the room - but for whatever reason i'm not loving it.

ok, so here's what we're working with.

floor plan:

and here's what i'm thinking of doing with the furniture layout both in plan form and 3D (they're sort of the opposite view of the floor plan - sorry!):

that's a trunk for toy storage at the foot of the bed.

the walls are going to be SW Naval, all the trim is white. Carpet is greige.

His bedding is navy and white rugby stripe, very tall white headboard, black dresser (leftover from what he has now), and MCM style nightstands done in a white frame a dark walnut stained drawers. i reupholstered his chair already and the full length drapes are also already made in the kelly green pattern shown below.

this is similar to the final look with the nightstands except the ones i'm working on have all drawers and no open shelves.

and here is a pic of the actual room with walls and trim - no carpet or paint yet. this is from the entry to the room looking at the corner completely taken up by windows/doors. it only looks dark because there are 2 layers of blue plastic on the windows for protection from all the trades working in the house.

and i was thinking for art, i would try out a photo transfer project i'd pinned on pinterest eons ago. i'm thinking 4 large squares, each painted a different accent color from the room (yellow, green, white, gray). on each one i'd do a black and white stylized photo transfer of subjects he likes - a fire engine, a train, a bulldozer, and a police car. it's bold and fun but for whatever reason i'm bored with it already. maybe because the idea came together too easily?

they would look something like this and i was thinking 2'x2' for each square so it'd be just over 4' wide and tall. he has 10' ceilings.

so here are my questions...

1) what do you think of the furniture layout?

2) if i go with this furniture layout, where would you put a large art grouping? over the dresser seems like an obvious place, but i like the idea of having the art visible in the same sight line as the chair from outside his room. not a deal breaker, but wanted to get some others' thoughts. i also thought about splitting it on the corner - two above the chair and two on the adjacent wall by the chair.

3) what do you think of the art?

4) other ideas for art?

5) i was also thinking of running a penant/bunting across his headboard with something sweet, or maybe the first line of his bedtime prayer... to bring a little color to his all blue/white wall.

please share your wisdom and get me back on track - i was doing so well on his room and feel like i've hit a creative block! feel free to comment on any or all of my "issues" :)

thanks for your help as always!

Comments (29)