SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
go_figure01

Please help !! Attn: all lay-out guru's

go_figure01
11 years ago

I have been on GW for awhile and am calling out to AboutToGet Dusty, aokat, babs711, berardmr, breezygirl, dolode, draonfly08, jbodie, jeanallsopp, michelle16, rhome, rtwilliams, tearose, yardboi,... and so many others to long too list.

I am in desperate need of your help! I have a small house approx 1500sqft w/a difficult existing lay-out, and am in dire need of more living space and storage.

The entry puts you right smack into LR (16x18) that shares a kitchen wall (11x6") which has a 15ft ceiling wall at the peak. I lose about 5ft of space currently in the LR because it is the walk-thru to the kitchen. The existing kitchen is 13x18.

I would like to remove the LR/kitchen wall and combine the ideas of aokat, breezygirl, dragonfly08, michelle16, etc. If possible - I would like to have a counter with a visual opening to be able to see the flatscreen that is in LR above the fireplace. The fireplc is not centered and makes placing furniture extremely difficult.

I am thinking of adding 6ft out (max. that I can go out) to the entire length of house LR to back of kitchen wall (6x36). If I remove the LR/kitchen wall (11'6") I will have to move existing range, frig, and upper/lower cabinetry which I don't mind losing. The uppers are mostly wasted space because they are so high (not quite up to the ceiling tho).

I don't like alot of upper cabs & like the idea of using more for windows (like aokat and breezy did). I also want to add a walk-in pantry in the add-on space and will house most of the "stuff" in there.

I like the ideas that aokat,babs711, breezygirl,dragonfly08, michelle16 used by placing everything along one wall. The existing kitchen wall is 18' long.

If I do the addition of 6ft, the kitchen will be 19x18. The problem is the peak of the ceiling. I cannot figure out the layout and am afraid it might look weird. I want to have a cooktop w/hood, farmsink, one wall oven, frig, and counters, plus ?

I don't know what the heck to do. I have spent countless months and endless nights drawing things out, etc. to no avail. I have "retained" an architect- who is sooo expensive just to "retain" and now I realize I have paid him for nothing as of yet, at least, because he is waiting for me to come up w/the ideas!!

Building costs are extremely high -I was quoted approx. $200-225sq ft. and I want/need to get it right so that I can avoid any costly mistakes. I hoping ANYONE can offer some suggestions. I have followed all of your posts, and am TTTKO. Will try and post some pics of what I am thinking.

Thank you for reading such a long msg. I am with out a doubt, on overload.

Please bear w/me. TY so much

Comments (27)