SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
terrapots

Best pie apples?

14 years ago

I had a stash of apples from this summer that we hadn't been able to eat so I made a huge pie with them. They were mostly small golden delicious and a couple of red delicious from the grocer. The pie was fabulous, apples firm and flavorful. DH raved about it for a couple of weeks. Being old school I bought some pippin apples and baked a pie. The apples almost turned into mush but at least not watery. So is it the apples or the long cold storage? We have always been pleased with Marie Callender apple pies but the last one was too sweet and apples were too soft or maybe the homemade spoiled us. At any rate, it will be homemade apple pie but I need to get better apples. I like them with crunch and not mushy. So what do you experts say?

I always buy fujis to eat as they keep well and are usually tart and crisp. I used to buy them at the orchard and they would last all winter in the garage but farmer had to sell them himself because they were "too green", markets wanted them more red so they pulled all the trees out.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County