SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

A Better Or Faster Coq Au Vin?

John Liu
13 years ago

I would like to see how we all make coq au vin.

My usual way is slow. I use a heavy 9 qt pot, render lardons, salt and flour chicken parts, brown them in the lardon fat, remove the chicken, deglaze the pot with some red wine, return the chicken to the pot, add tomato paste, herbs, onions, garlic, celery, bay leaves, some chicken stock, and enough red wine to cover it all - usually at least a bottle. Demi-glace if I have it. Refrigerate overnight or longer, then the covered pot goes in the oven for several hours. While the pot is in the oven, I render some more lardons until crisp, and brown some pearl onions. About halfway through the oven time, I add the pearl onions and mushrooms to the pot. Then everything I want to eat comes out of the pot - the chicken, pearl onions, and mushrooms - and everything else gets strained out of the liquid. The pot goes on the burner and the liquid is reduced down by half, to a sauce. The chicken, pearl onions, and mushrooms - and the crisp lardons - go in the reduced sauce, warms up, and is served.

This takes a long time. But the chicken is permeated with the wine - the meat is purple - and I don't know any way to get that without at least an overnight wine bath.

So I'd like to learn a faster way to make coq au vin. And some interesting variants on the dish. Does anyone make it with white wine? How about injecting wine into the chicken, or perforating the meat for faster purpling? Is this a pressure cooker dish? Is there a way to speed up the reduction? Also, is it worth hunting and pecking for a old male chicken - is the flavour better?

Comments (22)