SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arley_gw

Poularde in the U.S.? Or roosters for sale?

arley_gw
13 years ago

A recent discussion of coq au vin had Islay accurately asserting that for the dish to be authentic, it had to be made from a coq (a rooster). I've never seen a rooster for sale in any market, so unless you are raising chickens, or have a friend who does, you're not likely ever to have the real dish.

That got me to thinking...we do have access to capons (neutered male chickens) in the US. (In the UK, they're illegal--the caponizing process is considered cruel.) I have cooked capons on occasion--for a small Thanksgiving dinner, I prefer it to turkey--juicer, better flavor. But one item I've never seen or heard of in the US is the poularde. That is a female chicken which is neutered and then fed a special fattening diet. It's supposed to be ambrosia to eat; the famous blue-footed Poularde de Bresse is renowned for its flavor. (And I understand that the producers of those famous chickens guard their livestock quite jealously; if you want to obtain some Bresse poultry chicks or eggs to raise outside of France, you might as well be asking for the Eiffel Tower. Ain't gonna happen.)

Anyone know of any producer of poulardes in North America? For that matter, roosters for sale?

As an aside, the CIA spends a lot of money doing some very questionable operations. Now if they were to snitch some Bresse poultry and smuggle them into the USA for our small farmers to raise, it would go a long way toward rehabilitating its image, at least among foodies. Sure the French government would squawk, but they would at least be somewhat mollified that we recognized what was the best poultry in the world...

Comments (18)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals