SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sharon_fl

Collectibles?

sharon_fl
16 years ago

As is my routine-I try to dust off my collectibles the middle of each month. Most are in a curio so 1x a month is sufficient. I collect paperweights (kinda' on hold with them now) and figuerines of dancing couples (MY favorite pasttime).

For some odd reason-I started collecting turtles but the last visit from my one grandson-depleted that supply! OH! How could I forget the shelves of cookbooks? Love them!

How about you-what do you collect?

Comments (36)

• pattico_gw
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I wish I had only one or two...but I have a lot of different things...

I guess to make it easier....lets say I collect anything that is older than me....

And as I've said before...they get harder to find every year.

patti

• bigack
    16 years ago

I collect cow things, figurines, cow plates, anything cow, but not silly cows, lol.

• Related Discussions

Any reviews on Hermitage Collection engineered floors?

Q

Comments (25)
    I installed Hermitage Collection: Moet. I love the look and couldn't be happier about that aspect. That said, there is an issue with fading. To be fair though, our living room gets full sunlight all day long. We live at the beach and the sun is very strong. After just a few months I pulled up our area rug in the living room and there is obvious fading. So not super happy about that. Just thought you all should know that fading will happen if you have strong sunlight. Maybe even soft sunlight but I can't speak for that. FYI, I am in a differnt house now and I am going to use the same product. Mainly because I love the look ( large size planks and beautiful finishes) and I am so sick of renovations and issues with homes that I just don't give a damn if it fades. One last, while I was originally looking for flooring I read in reviews for other companies products horror stories of their hardwood/engineered floors' finish bubbling. I can happily attest to this not happening to our's. It's been installed now for three years.
    ...See More

Martha Stewart Collection Bradyn Leather Collection

Q

Comments (1)
    https://m.macys.com/shop/product/martha-stewart-collection-bradyn-leather-sofa-collection-created-for-macys?ID=754245&CategoryID=29391&experience=responsive&pdpserver=internal Order free swatches to help make this decision. See link above.
    ...See More

deadheading vs collecting seeds...and collecting seed pods green?

Q

Comments (5)
    It's an addiction so you'll probably enjoy being out there every day! I'm an addict, too. penstemon bloom, then form little pods that look like popcorn kernels. Let them dry and harden on the stalk. Each kernel has teeny tiny seeds in it. When you crack it open you'll see the baby seeds. coreopsis-the ones I've dealt with formed a small cluster where the bloom was. It's a difficult choice whether to deadhead or let them go to seed. I like the look when they're all deadheaded. The dry head, when pinched open with your fingernail, will have 3 or so seeds about the size of a radish seed. columbine-seed pods are glorious. After blooming there's a crown-shaped pod. Let it dry, but get it before it breaks open and spurts those seeds everywhere. There are teeny sides inside that multi-pronged seed pod. daisies-are probably setting seed now. The petals fall off, but the yellow button center remains and turns a darker yellow. When dry, snip off the head. When you brush your thumb across the yellow surface it will turn into 100s of seeds. Easy to put in an envelope and save yarrow-isn't very pretty as it moves toward seed stage. The large, flat flower heads dry, the vibrant color fades. Again, you have to be patient to wait for it to mature and dry. I cut off the flower head lower on the stem. Once inside, I try to brush, shake the seeds onto a paper or plate. peonies- I researched starting peonies from seed and it sounded like more than I could handle. The directions said to chill the seed for 2 years (in the refrigerator?). I decided that was beyond my skill set although I look at those seeds every year and wonder. daylilies-wonderful seed pods like green eggs at the top of a chopstick stuck int he ground over the bending green leaves. They dry slowly. Once dry (but before t hey break open) the seed pods are so much fun. Each seed is inside a separate little room inside the seed pod like a 3-bedroom apartment for 3 best friends. cosmos-my favorite seeds to save. Petals fall off and the seed head is a small ball. When ripe, the black seeds split apart easily and are hard. If you see anything soft or green, it's too early.
    ...See More

ZLINE autograph collection 48 inch dual fuel range

Q

Comments (3)
    "I know they are having problems with their other models" @Michele West the OP said there are problems with Zline's other models. What makes you believe that the 48" model would be an exception? Since it's bigger, with two ovens, and is dual fuel, there is more to break.
    ...See More
  • Tally
    16 years ago

I collect a lot of things:

Dept 56 villages
    Crystal animals
    Mouse figurines
    Carnival glass bowls.

My biggest collection though is Fitz & Floyd character pieces:

There are more detailed closeup pics of the Bunnies, the Halloween collections, the Fairy Tale. the kitchen Rooster pieces here:

Here is a link that might be useful: Fitz & Floyd Collection

• shea
    16 years ago

Sharon, I'll tell you what I collect, but not how often I dust them, LOL.

I collect majolica, flow blue, antique silver, books on U.S. Presidents, and books on collectibles, LOL. I have been very tempted to start collecting teapots, but don't know where I'd put them.

Also I have prolific collections of things I've accumulated without even trying, such as aches and pains, dust bunnies and weeds. In fact, I'm going outside right now to try and diminish the number of weeds, but of course that will mean acquiring more aches and pains. ;-)

• lydia1959
    16 years ago

Lots of collections here! I have collections of bears, rabbits, walking canes, vintage cow creamers, decorative plates, Dionne Quintuplet items, antique Mason jars, old postcards from my hometown, old Christmas ornaments and my Mother/Mama cup collection. Picture shows just a portion of them. I rarely buy any new additions for any of my collections cause I'm running out of space!

{{gwi:1635566}}

• paula_pa
    16 years ago

Cookbooks!

• Happy_Go_Lucky_Gayle
    16 years ago

Just Wacky Stuff. Anything unusual. Now, I'm looking for Sea Shells, Coral and Sea Shore Stuff for my Bathroom Makeover.

Gayle

• sjarz
    16 years ago

I collect cake servers - one goes back to the Walton's Era. I also collect platters, Holly Hobbie jewelry and the Country Living Earthenware series, tins, porcelain miniature animals, vintage jewelry and a lot of other stuff that somehow just arrived at my house...lol.
    Lydia, I would sure love to see your Quintuplets collection if you were ever inclined to take a picture of it.

• teresava
    16 years ago

Main thing used to be shot glasses from everywhere I (and friends/family) travelled. But with college days past and DD around, they got boxed up. I probably have 100+

Started liking the Willow Tree figures now-I have 3 but I have a list of 3-4 more I'd like!

• czech_chick
    16 years ago

Shawnee cornware

Seashells

Franciscan dinnerware - Apple pattern

Starbucks bears

Large collection of MP3 songs on my computer; also tons of animations and tags

~ Carol ~

• msmarion
    16 years ago

I have a collection of collections. LOL Charming Tail mice, Wee Forest Folk mice (though they have become so expensive that's on hold). Cobalt glass ware is a favorite of both DH and I. A friend that travels to Russia quite often started my collection of matryoshkas (nesting dolls) I have about 35. Sterling silver bangle bracelets, thought I don't wear them as much as I used to. Vintage sewing and gardening books. I inherited my mother's demitasse cups and mercury glass collection.
    There is more but I guess I'll stop here and think about gifting some to my younger cousins. It's just too much for one person to have! LOL

• jannie
    16 years ago

Salt and pepper shakers, tatted handkerchiefs, Dept 56 Christmas houses. Disney items, Beatles items. Lets see, that's about it.

• itsmesuzq
    16 years ago

I used to collect collectors plates...in fact I did that for about 20 years! I recently had to clean out our storage area and I found I have about 300 of those little suckers (all in the original boxes with the certificates!) and I'm going to try and get rid of them. I wish there was an easy way to do that. I'll start giving them away, and then hopefully find a charity that can use them to sell at fund raisers. And maybe go online to see if they have any value at all. I love every one of them, but people just don't collect them anymore so there's not much interest in them.

~Susan

• gazania_gw
    16 years ago

Wildlife figurines..the serious real looking type. Mostly fine porcelain. I have been concentrating mostly on Owls and birds of prey the last few years, and I am on the lookout for a good Zebra. I also have a modest collection of Harmony Kingdom Animal 'boxes'. These are more of a tongue-in-cheek type art that amuse me with the humor built into them. For instance, a beaver is holding a chain saw, and a meerkat holds binoculars. Lately I have brought home a half dozen of the plush Audubon birds.

My top dresser drawer holds a couple hundred pins of mostly birds and animals. Most of these have been gifts from my family.

My Dh collects scale model vehicles. Some trucks and cars, but mostly construction equipment...bull dozers, front loaders etc.

• vannie
    16 years ago

Oh boy! Where to start? I didn't mean to, but since I taught forever, I ended up w/ a lot of stuff that came as presents. As a result, I have Christmas trees, angels, and smowmen. They are packed away but I get them out at Christmas. I also collect giraffes. I have some wonderful ones. I collect cut glass, although I got most of it before the prices became inflated, and the same w/ antique furniture. I don't have very many pieces of furniture that's not antique. Sometimes I think I collect grandchildren!!! But, that's the best. I accumulate plants; house plants, outside, anywhere I can put them.

• minnie_tx
    16 years ago

I've staopped serious collecting. I still have my moms collectors plates to get rid of. I see them for $5 at Estate sales so not much hope for them.

I did get DS to sell all my Kitty Cucumbers on EBay and made oodles of $$ for them All the other collections I'm just going to try and sell or give away.
    I didn't even put out any of my Easter stuff this year.

• marilyn_c
    16 years ago

I hate to list it all. Some of it, I don't actively collect any more, but still when I stumble across something I've collected in the past, if the price is right, I will usually get it.

I collect things with waterlilies on them...old things, old black and white photos of children on paint ponies...the kind that the traveling photographers made back in the '30's, '40's and '50's. Old horse figurines...especially from the 1950's and palomino...how's that for specific? :)

Old kitchen things, bowls, yellow ware bowls or yellow ware in general, utensils with brightly colored plastic handles...only made in USA or Japan. Anything garden related...McCoy and Shawnee flower pots with attached sauces, planters, statuary, bird baths, etc., concrete water troughs...have four of them and more that I'm keeping an eye
    on, chainlink fence gate toppers...spanial, borzoi, horse, lions, birds and looking for squirrel, old dishes and dinner ware, old restaurant dishes, old cupboards, raccoon Christmas ornaments, old Christmas ornaments, and much, much more. Only old things tho. I don't buy anything new.

• karengarden
    16 years ago

I have so many collections in storage that I need to get rid of. I have a 50 gallon tote full of the stuffed boyd's bears. I used to have a perfect place to display and at our new house no where to display, so they have been boxed up for 6 years.

I have also a collection of the Memories of Yesteryear figurines that are all still in storage. I need to get rid of those. Now the collections that I still have out are swanky swig glasses, wexford glass pieces, crackle glass. I also love all sorts of buttons, old jewelry, bottle caps, and wooden spools of thread that are displayed. I have lots of different colored and sizes of canning jars displayed in my kitchen. Oh and a collection of toys, but will blame that on the kids and all their stuff lol.

I wish I could get rid of the bears and figurines somehow, maybe a collectable garage sale.

Stacie

• ntt_hou
    16 years ago

I do cookbooks too but slowed down when I have no more rooms for them.

My main collection is Chinese Yixing Clay Teapots.

• okwriter
    16 years ago

How about you-what do you collect?

Pounds.
    Dust.
    Wrinkles.
    Experience. :-)

• susanjf_gw
    16 years ago

a few pieces of lenox china, with a number of clocks. we also have mugs from vacations...i used to collect cook books but with 2 bookcases full that's enough!

• beach_del
    16 years ago

Okwriter....I love your response! I collect cookbooks, dishes and seem to have several precious moments (all given to me).

• kathi_mdgd
    16 years ago

Bunnies,cow stuff,santas,and i used to collect the xmas villages but 2 years ago i gave them to my GD,and i continue to wade thru all my stuff getting rid of it to the grands.My kids don't want any of it.

I also have a lot of quilt and craft books that i plan to start selling off,some are brand new and most are in like new condition.

I don't buy anything anymore unless i'm actually going to use it.
    Kathi

• glenda_al
    16 years ago

I'm with okwriter

Pounds.
    Dust.
    Wrinkles.
    Experience. :-)

• mariend
    16 years ago

We have a various collection of items that DH bought traveling with his brother. Handmade items from China, Russia, Poland etc and am trying to find out which kid wants what. They have their own interests. One DD will take most of it as she and her family collect things too. Guess after we are gone, we won't know who gets what. I even have very old china from my grandma but I think one of my gd will take some of that.

• sharon_fl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

SO interesting to see where all of your interests are in collecting. Know what bothers me most? I am 64 yrs old-have many items of 'hometown interest' that I thought my kids would want-but you know what? They could care less! My mom-she used to say to me"Sharon-hold on to this-it'll be valuable one day". So goes the new age of our kiddos...kinda' hurts that they don't care to preserve the past like we did! I have my grandma's"gut dish" that I will NOT give to anyone-be it as it may-wherever it ends up-it will be in MY possession until I am gone! Back when I was under 12yrs old-every holiday at my grandma's (remember when there were NO excuses-you went to Grandma's every Thanksgiving & Xmas?)...well, us kids would be starved & Grandma would say-"No..you'll spoil your dinner-go get an apple or grapes or a banana from the "gut dish" on the table.it will hold you over until dinner." I have that Gut Dish & no way will I part with it!

• marilyn_c
    16 years ago

Sharon, I have one daughter, and she isn't interested in any of the things I have. I was telling her about a particularly old orb that I have in my garden...that I saw two on ebay for $300. She said, "Good, I know I can get $150 for it." I told her, "I just may adopt myself someone to leave my junk to." Actually, I guess it is good that she isn't interested in junk.

I started buying vintage jewelry for her when she was about 12, because she liked it. Not long ago, she gave it all back to me, because she wasn't wearing it any more. I don't wear it either, but I still buy it when I find it reasonably priced. I need to start selling on ebay.

• caroline94535
    16 years ago

I love nearly everything that is posted in all the above posts!

While I don't have "serious" collections, and none of my items are displayed at the moment because of the remodel, I do love and seem to acquire...

~ Old handkerchiefs with tatted edges. I also have a pair of pillowcases with huge tatted butterflies on the ends. I have several vintage tatting shuttles and finally learned to tat for myself.

~ Old vintage jewelery. Costume and real. Anything that sparkles and I consider "pretty."

~ Old buttons, especially glass and mother-of-pearl. And in the same vein, old sewing implements, books, patterns, etc.

~ I have several pieces of pink "Rose of Sharon" (Cabbage Rose) depression glass. I have to either complete the set or sell if off. I can't decide. Since I've fallen in love with Royal Albert's "Old Country Roses" (the English-made pieces) my depression glass urge has been toned down.

~ Anything "English" or "Irish" that is old and interesting. Also old books on English social history and architecture. Old, out-of-print "interesting" books on about any subject for that matter.

~ Shamrocks and items decorated with Shamrocks. Vintage crosses (not Crucifixes; they make me sad) and rosaries.

~ Old wedding photographs, from early 1800s to mid-1950s or even later if their "interesting." And old photographs in general. I've "adopted" severeal ancestors because it broke my heart to see the wonderful photographs sitting in a junk shop.

~ Hallmark ornaments, at least the older ones. The few years they've gotten less and less interesting to me.

~ Teapots and teacup and saucer sets.

Oh, I'll just admit it. I love, and want, and need everything!

• Cherryfizz
    16 years ago

I have a lot of little collections.

Silk roses - different shades of pink and ones that are real looking. I keep them in a crystal vase on a table in my living room. One day my brother David who rarely visits asked me who sent me the bouquet of roses. LOL I think the most expensive rose in the vase cost me $5.95

Royal Doulton figurines - I have a few, wish I had just a few more. I inherited a couple of them including the toby jugs. My Grandma had many Royal Doulton figurines.

Royal Doulton Bunnykins pieces - pre 1970

Vintage Pyrex - my collection is huge - everything from old Flame Ware, vaccum coffee pots, bowls, dishes, mugs, salt and pepper shakers, custard cups, butter dishes, cracker and cookie barrels, cookware, tea pots, coffee urns with stands, platters, bread makers, roasters, measuring cups, rolling pin, turkey basters, nesting bowls, regrigerator boxes, casserole dishes, etched pieces. I am looking for old Pyrex baby bottles now - I only have one in my collection. I display a few pieces in my kitchen, I use a couple of Pyrex refrigerator boxes and small bowls to hold my jewelry on my dresser. LOL Anything that says Pyrex on the bottom I want it. I used to be able to buy pieces for under $1.00 at thrift stores, but not anymore. Many people have ruined old Pyrex by using it in the microwave.

English Bone China - Tea cups and saucers, some I have bought myself, most I have been given or inherited. I have one box in my closet full of tea cups and saucers that my Aunt Joan gave me but have no place to display them. I use my tea cups and saucers. I have little bone china jam pots and egg coddlers, boiled egg cups.

Crystal - I love anything crystal. I use my crystal cream and sugars with my tea cups and saucers. I inherited a big crystal basket that I love.

Egg cups - I have a few that I treasure - one of them is a monkey wrapped around the part that holds the egg which is from the 1950's.

Christmas decorations - old beads for the tree, cardboard houses for my mantle or Christmas items from the 1950's or before.

101 Dalmation Christmas pieces - my brother finds these for me. They are so cute and some of the pieces move or do something.

Avon china dolls - I have them displayed on my dresser but am thinking of putting them away. I put the Irish doll in the living room for St. Patrick's Day.

Buttons - I have old tins, mason jars, and boxes filled with buttons I have bought from estate sales, and yard sales. I love sorting through them. I don't know which ones would be worth money as some collectors do.

Old board games and game pieces including dice. Old marbles -white with swirls.

Old cross stitched or pieces and embroidered linens that strike my fancy and old cross stitch patterns. Woodens thread spools/

Pins/brooches - I have many that I wear - don't often leave the house without some kind of pin or brooch. My favourites are my Cladaigh brooches - don't know if I spelled that right. LOL I also often wear a little wooden mouse with blue jeweled and a suede tail my sister gave me when I was 4 years old.

Matchbooks - I used to collect them - I have many from around the world, a couple from the Air France Concord. Many of from places I could only dream about visiting.

Walkers/wobblers - I don't know the correct name for them. Toys from the 1950's or earlier. Hard plastic figures like Mickey Mouse or Hannah Barbera cartoon characters. They had little wheels under them - you would put the toy on a slanted surface and they would walk/wobble down to the bottom. I have about 7 of these I have collected over the years.

Cookbooks - vintage, I love all community cookbooks put out by the Junior Leagues or churches because most of the recipes are tried and true.

Hardcover books on the English Royal family.

Old hardcover books that might strike me as interesting or because of the artwork.

Minature doll furniture from the 1950's of 1960's.

I am just starting to collect little 3" colourful gnomes or trolls.

Royal Albert Poinsettia discontinued china. I have quite a few cups and saucers. I am always on the search for any sized plates, tea pot, tiered cookie plate. I don't buy anything on ebay so I hunt around at yard sales and antique stores for them. I want to collect enough pieces for a set of 4 place settings or at least breakfast or dessert settings.

I collect so much - but don't want a lot of any one thing. LOL There is so much more that I haven't even mentioned. LOL

Anne

• clubm
    16 years ago

I stopped collecting. I collected cats, snowmen,llrado's
    and dolphins. They all collected to much dust.

• gwanny2three
    16 years ago

I used to collect pigs. Everyone I know gave me pigs until I couldn't stand it anymore! LOL...I got so tired of pigs stuff and quit! I do love pigs though! I collected porceline dolls for a granddaughter someday, quit that too and packed them away until I have one...maybe I'll get a great granddaughter to pass them on to! I only have a collection of snowbabies and cookbooks now. Got tired of all the clutter and packed it all away.

• Linda Wayman
    16 years ago

I used to collect so much stuff. Sometimes I didn't even realize I was actually collecting things until I took a step abck and saw how many I had of different items.

I collected owls back in the very early 1970s. I had over 300 but all of a sudden a lot of people were collecting them and they could be found every where. I lost interest. I think part of the fun of the collecting was in the hunt. I sold all but about a half dozen to one woman at a yard sale who just started collecting. She hit the mother lode.
    I collected cookbooks, but got rid of a couple of hundred of them a few years back. I still have more than I should, but I'm not ready to get rid of the others.

I collected Kellogg items and except for some beanie babies and baseball cards I got rid of all of them. I had a 1906 comic book that was a prize in a box of cereal back then, but I gave it to someone at work who also collects Kellogg stuff.
    I collected heart shaped things; the cute heart, not like the one in your body. I sold or gave away all but about a dozen of them.

I still have a collection of roosters. I got rid of a lot of them, but I still have enough to call it a collection.

I collected Santas, but for the past few years I haven't been able to display all of them because of having big dogs in the house. I'm afraid they will either knock them over or eat them.

I do not plan to collect other things because I am trying to make my life maintenance free and I don't want anything else to dust.

Linda

• nan_nc
    16 years ago

I collect glass flower frogs. You know, those things you put in the bottom of the vase to hold the flower stems. It all started with a couple I found in my mother's stuff..now I have about fifty. And I use them! Used to be able to find them fairly regularly at flea markets and garage sales..haven't seen one in several years. Besides that, I collect dust bunnies, wrinkles, experience, cat hair, and aggravations.

• sjarz
    16 years ago

Wow, Cherry, you have amazing stuff. I find it amazing how much stuff is out there, it would be easy to have overflowing shelves, cupboards, drawers of all this wonderful vintage stuff, but in the end it's just stuff that has to be dusted or moved or boxed or what have you.
    Nan, I saw a rose colored flower frog the other day at the goodwill for $20! Had to look twice at the price, it wasn't a big one either, I would have loved to have grabbed it, but that's just too much for it.
    I did buy a Fireking Tulip bowl the other day - large one, it was $15 but in beautiful condition. I'm going to fill it with Easter goodies and give it to my brother, he has quite a bit of old glass and kitchen ware, so I know he'll love it.
    Suzan J

• Cherryfizz
    16 years ago

Tally and Lydia - I love how you display your collections and they are beautiful. Lydia - do you collect Grandmother tea cups and saucers? I've seen a few of those around.

Susan, I have a lot of stuff but not huge collections and if you walked around my house you wouldn't know I really collect anything. LOL Unless you go into my attic. LOL I have all my board games and puzzles on a large metal shelving unit and my Pyrex is in big hotel credenzas with drawers or on top and in metal cabinets and the coffee pots/urns are on one of my trunks. I use some of the Pyrex - some I wouldn't use because of the arsenic used in the glass. I don't think it leaches out but who knows. Older clear Pyrex made with arsenic has a yellow tinge to it.

Good idea to fill the bowl for your brother with Easter goodies. My brother does that for me. LOL He picks up Pyrex bowls and puts in the basket grass and fills them up. One year he put a massive basket together for me filled with yellow Pyrex and each piece was filled with grass and candy LOL

I change my figurines on my mantle. Sometimes I take down the ladies and put up the toby jugs, other times I decorate the mantle with crystal.

I used to collect souvenir spoons - I had a wall display of them but I got bored with them and didn't like to polish them because they were silver so I put them away. I've got some cool spoons.

I have my Dad's collection of Popular Mechanics and Popular Science plus some old Radio magazines from the early 1920's to 1976. The sets used to be full but I gave lot of different ones away over the years. They used to be on shelves upstairs in year order and perfect condition but my brother took them down and put them in huge television boxes and now they are mixed up. I need to get rid of them. They do make cool birthday gifts sometimes, especially the older ones. Who expects to get a magazine from the year they were born?

I have a thing for roses especially the old fashioned kind. I've been collecting a set of dishes that used to be given out at theatres. They have a pink tudor rose in the middle with a gold wavy scroll surrounding the rose to the edges. I'm trying to get enough pieces to have a set. Everything is stored away in cupboards in the attic until I can use it.

Some of my friends love going up into my attic even though it is a mess but it is a work in progress. LOL
    I still have a lot of my childhood toys too up there.

Linda, I collect heart shaped rocks that I find near the water. I keep them in a small bowl.

I love reading about everyone's collectibles.

Anne

• des_arc_ya_ya
    16 years ago

Don't have near as many collections as I used to have. I ran out of room (and interest!) Here's a photo of part of my Moo Cow Creamer collection. I have about 30, but they're now stored.