SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
des_arc_ya_ya

Tell Us About Your Favorite Collection...

des_arc_ya_ya
20 years ago

Okay, I'll go first since it was my idea! LOL

I started collecting Fireking jadite dishes about six years ago and I'm sure glad I started when I did. The prices have skyrocketed and it makes me feel great to look at my cabinet full of green.

To think that it started with a Restaurant Ware mug for fifty cents at a yard sale. My DH said Jadite is worse than cocaine for being addictive! LOL

What's your favorite collection?

Comments (130)

• cyou
    16 years ago

I collect vintage tools and also have started collecting vintage magazine ads. I found an old magazine a few years ago and marveled at the quality of the ads inside.

To help finance my other addiction (tool collecting), I started collecting and selling the ads. I do keep my own personal collection but really enjoy uncovering retro ads that I don't have in my collection. I sort of view it as a way to document a very different way of life that has long passed.

I was going to reference my site to allow users to see these great ads but have a feeling it is against the rules. If I hear otherwise, I'll create another post with the URL.

• peegee
    16 years ago

Hello everyone! I also have just wandered over for the first time, and have really enjoyed reading about other's collections.
    I started obsessively collecting Jadite in the mid-80's; favorite piece a large ball picture - yes, Jadite was an addiction... Other favorite collections include:
    kerosene lamps
    Daguereotypes/Ambrotypes/historical thermoplastic union cases
    early aviation photos
    Stangl Town and Country - blue (my pre-Jadite obsession)
    Tricia, I also face downsizing or eliminating collections due to my move to a small home. I just keep finding excuses to procrastinate letting go of my favorite things...

• Related Discussions

Show off your favorite pictures of your collections...

Q

Comments (79)
    No rot at all - perhaps it's just because none of the water actually comes in contact with the plants? It's very low maintenance and has made for some nice growth. Whenever any of them start to look a little dehydrated, I just put the top on for a few days to really kick up the humidity, and things just seem to do well. Looking forward to trying some other stuff the same way. Have one jade I'm trying to do as root-over-rock in the same way; appears to be working well so far.
    ...See More

tell me about your favorite pest and disease proof fruit trees!

Q

Comments (28)
    Thanks for all the feedback. Here are some of the trees/fruit crops varieties I am considering planting. I'll have to narrow this down, of course. Or will I? muhuhahahaha.... CHERRY (2) - Lapins, Sweetheart (I said I wasn't into cherries, but then I saw some pictures of them and they mad me hungry so I changed my mind) APRICOT (3) - Harglow, Puget Gold, Westley (too late?), Tlor-tsiran??? PEACH (3) - Avalon Pride, Blazingstar, HW 272 sound like the best three. Other choices might include Charlotte, Contender, Harbelle, Harrow Diamond, Juneprince, Mary Jane, Oregon Curl-Free, Q 1-8, Redstar, Reliance, Starfire, Veteran? NECTARINE (2) - Fantasia?, Hardired, Kreibich, Harko? PLUM (3) - sounds like a lot of them do fine here, but my top 3 are probably Beauty, Hollywood, Shiro APPLE (5) - Akane, September Wonder/Jubilee, Chehalis, Honeycrisp, Liberty, Pristine, William's Pride PEAR (4) - Bartlett (have to have a Bartlett), Blake's Price, Moonglow, Orcas, Rescue ASIAN PEAR (3) - (still deciding) Shinseiki for sure. Others.... Nijesseiki, Chojuro, Shinko, Mishirasu, Hamese? RASPBERRIES (and relatives) - Autumn Bliss, Caroline, Summit, Tulameen, Boysenberry, Marionberry, Tayberry, Thornless Loganberry, Willamette BLUEBERRIES (I will plants lots, they do great in Sequim) - Berkeley, Bluecrop, Little Giant, Olympia, Sunshine, Top Hat, Toro KIWIFRUIT - Exbury (sounds like the earliest ripening fuzzy type), Saanichton (will it ripen?), male fuzzy, 74/49, Ken's Red, Ananasnaya, Meader, Geneva, male arguta GRAPES - Agria, Campbell's Early??? (will it ripen?), Canadice, Einset?, Interlaken Seedless, Jupiter?, Lynden Blue (sounds like a winner), Madeline Angevine (wine), Price, Regent, Reliance, Valiant?, Vanessa FIG - Atreano, Desert King, Lattarula, Stella?, Vashon Violet/Brunswick OLIVE - Arbequina, Mission CHESTNUT - I want to plant two or three but they are big trees. Lots to choose from on the Burnt Ridge Nursery web site. PISTACHIO - Uzbek (I'm sure that won't work but I have to try...LOL anyways it's hardy and the flowers are cool) ALMOND - All in one, HallÂs Hardy, Reliable, Dessertiny (Bounty?) PINEAPPLE GUAVA - Nikita (sounds like the earliest ripening one), a pollinator Some other things like mulberries aren't out of the question.... we'll see. I don't want to get too carried away just yet. I also have to be careful of not planting things that need a lot of heat or ripen too late. Apparently I only get about 1400 growing degree days in an average season.
    ...See More

Please tell me about your favorite cheese knife.

Q

Comments (3)
    We had a Henckels paring knife for thirty years. We used it on hard cheeses, mostly cheddar, Gruyere, and Manchego. Last week, the blade split in half. My sense is that line Henckels has diminished in quality since 1983, so I am not going to replace it. Perhaps you could call this source and ask about their recommendations. I have found them helpful in the past. Here is a link that might be useful: Fantes cheese implements
    ...See More

Tell me about your favorite cabinet insert or storage solution

Q

Comments (24)
    My tall oven cabinet came with a shelf, so I just put it high enough to fit my griddle and extra long platters and then placed the dividers on top of the shelf. The dividers can be screwed down, but I didn't bother as they don't move much without the screws and it also meant I didn't have to drill holes in my shelf! Even if the cabinet had not come w/the shelf, I was going to ask for one since I already had planned for this storage based on what I had seen here in the thread linked below. I think I got the idea from Gizmonike and Sail-Away. BTW...I was originally going to get the Rev-A-Shelf dividers but put these from Walmart in temporarily. The Walmart ones worked so well that I didn't bother to replace them...besides, I would have needed 6 packs of 2-dividers each and at $14.95 per 2-pack, this was much cheaper! I used 3 dividers from Walmart at $5.95 each, so $18 vs $90...easy decision! I also bought two more of those dividers and put them under my corner prep sink...one in each deep corner One holds cutting boards, the other holds my pizza stones & cast iron frying pan. Here is a link that might be useful: Thread: tray cabinets - top 1/2 wasted space
    ...See More
  • foxes_garden
    16 years ago

I've been living in small spaces for a long time, so my collections have been of small things. Dollhouse miniatures, especially if I can find a local craftsperson who does miniatures in addition to full-sized work. Sheet music and CDs of quartet music. Self-published comic books. Now I suddenly have a much larger space and I need to come up with something big to collect!

• gtyree
    16 years ago

I love too many things so therefore don't have a specific "collection" of any collectibles. But my favorite and by far my largest collection is my antiques and artists resource books--almost 3,000 of them. My husband tells me the floorboards are going to cave in from all of them! Wish my retention was alot better, then maybe I could make some real money with this antiques stuff and afford to pay for them all!
    Bye,
    Grace

• kim_still_in_pa
    16 years ago

My favorite collections are my seasonal/holiday ones. I have old school items from the 40s/50s and squirrels to usher in fall.

Next is my display of Relpo/Lefton turkeys, salt & pepper shakers (pilgrims, scarecrows, turkeys, etc.)and Gurley candles for Thanksgiving.

Then I go all out and fill the 90 slots in my old postal desk with Christmas collectibles dating from the 1920s thru the 1960s. There are bottle brush trees, Santas, boots, angels, candy containers, christmas balls and bulbs, etc. I fill in with old snowmen and valentines for winter.

In spring I display old tin toys with easter themes, rabbits, eggs and add in my hard plastic Irwin, Rosen and Knickerbocker toys.

Summertime brings out my patriotic items, old postcards from amusement parks, bathing beauties and old souvenir/theme park prizes.

Kim

• cheryl_ok
    16 years ago

My favorite collection is my rolling pins! I have 360, all sizes, from toy wooden ones to almost 2 foot long industrial ones including glass, wooden, plastic, metal. Old and new.
    We have recently moved and now my space is smaller, forcing me to be more selective in my purchases. I have them hanging on the walls, hanging from shelves and in tons of baskets and now laying on the floors.
    I've enjoyed this forum!
    Cheryl

• mrskjun
    16 years ago

Right now it is white art pottery and vintage linens. I've had several collections in the past, like Virginia Rose China, dresser boxes, etc. I ended up selling them. Just don't have the room for everything I'd like to keep.

I've loved hearing about everyones collections.

• DYH
    16 years ago

white English ironstone -- Meakin, Pankhurst, Boote, Maddock and a few others.

I recently picked up Red Cliff at an estate sale. I've not done much research on it yet but I'm assuming it is American.

My real weakness in ironstone is for sugar and creamers. Too cute!

• lazypup
    16 years ago

I have a collection of over 600 Native American Indian arrowheads, tomahawk heads and lance points, all found by my family members on my grandfathers farm in N.E. Ohio

• Cherryfizz
    16 years ago

My brother collects old die cast toys

• des_arc_ya_ya
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL Did not realize that this post was still going. Interesting to read about everyone's collections. A question: as you get older do you find that you have less interest in collecting? I still love my Fireking collections, but about everything else has fallen by the wayside. A house can hold only so much. What about you? Any observations on this idea?

• peegee
    16 years ago

Interesting that you ask "as you get older do you find that you have less interest in collecting?" For me it's a resounding YES!! But I'm not sure if my waning interest in collecting is entirely a factor of my age or just that I've reached a saturation point...maybe it is both, plus a greater awareness and maybe urgency of using my finances more wisely than I did when obsessively collecting (i.e.; spending)when I was younger. I still love my Jadite, but I regularly use/display only a very small percentage of my collection; most sits uselessly in many boxes. Much of what I collected over the years, from early photography, kerosine lamps, and so forth, I now have little or no room for since my move to smaller quarters. (I agree, "A house can hold only so much") The last thing I need right now is more stuff. For me, the real chore I'm facing is figuring out not only how to get rid of (sell) stuff but how to let go of what needs to go to begin with. Certainly it also occurs to me that I need to pare down also because I don't need to leave my adult children with a nightmare should something happen to me.

• decodilly
    16 years ago

Ok I'll play! Don't ask why- old planters with goggly eyed dogs

• des_arc_ya_ya
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Forgot to add that one collection that is NOT going is all of my 50's Christmas tree ornaments. I also have a silver aluminum tree and a color wheel.

• damascusannie
    16 years ago

Antique sewing machines--I have over 50 now! Also vintage sewing stuff: books, sewing kits, needle books, darning eggs, patterns, etc...

Annie

• cybersal
    15 years ago

Everything is my "favorite". I'm a sick person!
    5 china cabinets + full of McCoy Pottery (at least 200)
    100's of Pyrex - mixing bowls are my favorite(was told my collection was "low class" so I retaliated by starting to collect):
    Sterling silver flatware - sparing no expense! HA!that will show him. Working on my 3rd set. Actually he was complaining about the pyrex being displayed in a public area, but I'm not ahead with the sterling because I have to keep it locked away, so the pyrex is still there). Some folks have "Royal Dalton with hand painted periwinkles" and I have pyrex, and if he knew what I really paid for some bowls, he'd lock ME away.
    Whole sheets of postage stamps
    Dated railroad nails - have no idea where they're at, but had fun digging out of old rotten ties back in the 70's.
    Creamers
    FireKing red and luster gold
    Nice colored glass (fostoria etc.)
    Old Jim Beam decanter bottles (another thing I keep out of sight)
    Christian Icons
    Note to Missladybyte: I had never considered my fabric a "collectable" but I have ALOT since the 60's, when I used to buy modest pieces of 2-4 yards, to the last 15 years when I bought many whole(or nearly so)bolts. Never would I consider actually cutting into it. I guess they could use it for a funeral pyre when I die.
    We recently moved from a 8,000 sq ft house to a 4,400 sq ft and boy do I have boxes that will never be unpacked unless I start hanging things from the ceiling.
    1,000's of books (mostly good ones)
    I was supposed to lighten my load but drat that ebay, and I can still walk (sideways)in the garages.

• floyd_devoid
    15 years ago

I try to collect things that are hard to find. That way I won't clutter up my life. I like 19th century Austrian and French bronzes depicting rats, bats and lizards. O.K. that does sound a little wierd. I also like miniature cold painted Austrian bronze figurines of all kinds. I collect tacky 50's Vegas ash trays. The tackier the better but most of all I like to collect rent. I have had many collections over the years from toys to illustrated childrens books but I'm much more a dealer than a collector. I keep things for a while, get tierd of them, sell them and start collecting something else. My thrill is in the hunt.

• newdawn1895
    15 years ago

This is just to fun to hear about everyone's collection's. I use to collect brown transferware until it got so expensive.

Cattknap your collection sounds wonderful. And Penny in SC I bet your sink will look smashing in your new home.

• tjclay
    15 years ago

Wow, what a wonderful thread, so interesting! I collect teapots, creamers, and sugar bowls that are fruit or vegetables, antique, vintage or new does not matter to me. My favorite collection though is my growing collection of Art Nouveau, I prefer the stuff from the U.K. or Europe, particularly the German pieces, but I do have some U.S. pieces.

• bspofford
    15 years ago

Pink teddy bears, pink Christmas ornaments (is there a theme here) and spun glass ornaments. Copper tea kettles, bicycle cups.

All put away now that I'm collecting African violets............

Barbara

• nan_nc
    15 years ago

Glass flower frogs! I only have about sixty, but there are no duplicates. Used to find them at flea markets and yard sales, but haven't seen one I don't have in years. And I use them, too! I especially like the look of the colored glass ones in a clear glass vase filled with flowers and placed in front of a sunny window.

• damascusannie
    15 years ago

nan--what a neat thing to collect! They'd make good paper-weights when not in use in a vase.

Annie

• aquilachrysaetos
    15 years ago

Speaking of paperweights. I have a large collection of glass paperweights. My nicest ones are Scottish millefiori and lampwork with details so fine a jeweller's loupe is needed to fully appreciate them.

I've also started collecting antique British silverware. I have one that is 200 years old!

• Rudebekia
    15 years ago

I collect vintage (50s-60s) small sized Steiff animals. Alot of them came from my childhood: then came ebay with so many available! I'm up to about 70, I think, and I had to stop.

• minnie_tx
    15 years ago

I don't know if I posted before about my collections. I'm getting rid of all my collections via yard sales and DS is selling some stuff on the internet.
    Fairies, pigs, cows, black cats, cats, Noah's Arks, 40 years of various Christmas collections reindeers, santas, snowmen, trains, rocking horses, you name it 've had it and now I've really had it and just don't find the enjoyment there anymore. I loved them when I collected them and have a lot of photos.

• sandra_ferguson
    15 years ago

What a bunch of interesting stuff! We've been collecting antiques since we were married....1962, so are surrounded by old things...and, of course, some family things.
    I collect Toby Jugs...the early ones, not Royal Dalton, but Ralph Wood; I love early textiles, and have many handwoven blankets, coverlets, linen sheets and towels, and later, quilts; I like women's things, so handknit stockings, men's needlework wallets, samplers, preferably American 18th cen, but I have a few English ones, too.....Canton(added to family pieces); painted furniture (Kaz, dower chests), American redware (getting harder to find) Staffordshire (preferably Scottish looking pieces - Kilted men, etc), baskets, crocks, early wallpaper covered hat boxes, Shaker boxes. MY favorite is probably Victorian and earlier jewelery....I particularly like mourning jewelery and earrings. I'm including some pics....

my spinning wheel (I actually spin with it and knit my yarn)in front of a kaz

a couple painted chests;

some of my toby jugs;

a coverlet on windsor chair

• susiethecook
    15 years ago

I collect antique fabric--with a special love of "double pink" and "cadet blue". I also collect antique and vintage cloth doll patterns. The oldest ones I have are from the very late 1800s--but most are after the turn of the century--with some of my favorites being from the 1920s.

I also have a more typical collection of flow blue china---platters and plates as well as some other pieces like a covered vegetable dish and a large sugar bowl and creamer.

• angeldog
    15 years ago

I collect Radko, Landmark and similar type Christmas tree ornaments...all from different cities I've visited. Some are from actual resorts like the Greenbrier, Palm Desert Marriot, Bellagio, Broadmoor etc. Most are from cities and feature special landmarks, like Chrysler Bldg, NY, tree in Rockefeller Plaza, Cathedral in Santa Fe, lighthouse from Sea Island, girlscout from Savannah, Olympic symbol from Salt Lake winter olympics, Mickey and Minnie Santas from Epcot, phone booth from London, pelican from Hilton Head. Others are just special like sorority, university mascots, MD Anderson angel, cowboy boot from a TX wedding. My tree glitters with all the glass colorful ornaments. Every year when I open them to hang on the tree, it's a trip down memory lane!

• suesan_2008
    15 years ago

Woodworking tools, and antique boxes and chests because you can put stuff in them. House is fully furnished with Arts & Crafts period, but from some time ago. Getting harder to find good pieces at reasonable cost and getting to be too much clutter.

• adobesunlight
    15 years ago

I have many collections as well because I love so many different things! "Tea for one" sets to go along with my tea cups/saucers, teapots, etc. Also love snow globes, vintage linens (especially old embroidered pillowcases), dinnerware/transferware (pink and red are favorites), old hankies, pitchers, creamers, vintage S&P's (attracted to the shell covered souvenir sets), teddy bears, interesting old photo frames, vintage tins (mostly medicine/aspirin, talcs) and more! This is not to mention our wide assortment of DVD's!

Fun topic! Enjoy hearing about everyone else's collections too! TY!

• igloochic
    15 years ago

Angel we'll have to compare trees some day. :o) I have over 400 radko's collected since he first began production. I've kind of backed off purchasing them, but I can't actually admit that I'm "done" collecting them LOL

I would say that my two favorites currently would be my antique jewelry collection (admittedly mostly collected by my husband for me) and my venetian glass collection. I actually designed my dining room to highlight the glass because I love it so much.

The jewelry is a fascination I've had for years. I have pieces dating back to the early 1800's. One of my favoriate piece is the least elegant. It's a gold and silver, pearl and garnet suite of pieces. A hair comb, necklace, broach (which can hang on the necklace) earrings, and a bracelet...but the best part is that this pretty merchant's wife's set, is still in it's original box (molded for the set) from a jeweler who went out of business in 1810. None of them are comparable to the queens jewels LOL But each is lovely in it's own right and I really enjoy wearing them.

I've never refered to my fabric as a collection...god help us all because that would mean I'd need to buy more and more and more and....oh I guess it's a collection LOL I have a strong addiction that can not be cured, to textiles. I have antique pieces and new pieces, and I'd say over 70% are silks...I love silk :o) I do pretend to actually use the fabric (I make crazy quilts) but really...I just need to own it all...all fabric will someday be Mine MINE MINEEEE!!!

Oh wait...I got carried away...sorry :oP

• su333
    15 years ago

I collect antique and old wicker pieces. I have this
    cool magazine rack and tables and other things.
    Su

• powermuffin
    14 years ago

Hijack, sorry.
    igloochic, I would love you to show us your crazy quilts. I have done a few too and some art quilts.
    Diane

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

My Jadite Fire-King Dishes. I haven't added to the collection in a long time plus still have some tucked away in storage in the garage since my move. Once I get the rest of my collection out and arranged in my kitchen, I know I will want to add to it. Think all my glass front kitchen cabinets should demo this collection. My other favorite is my reproduction Egyptian decor.

Fun thread!!!

• goldilocs
    13 years ago

I stopped collecting ""knick-knackie" things when I found out I had to dust them!!!! So I purchased a display case and started collecting old mechanical pencils and mother of pearl quill pens and ink wells. (I am an artist by trade so I think that's why these things appeal to me so much).

• icatzaz1
    13 years ago

I collect brooches. I like Victorian and Art Nouveau, but especially Art Deco. I have some later ones, some goofy ones, some elegant ones, but they're so pretty and fun to collect. Not expensive either.

• SallyP123
    12 years ago

I collect green and cream enamalware from the 30's as well as kitchen gadgets from that era. IE: Pea shellers, marmalde cutters and the like. I also love the color jadite green and collect bowls and utensils in that color.

• bulldinkie
    12 years ago

I have a crazy quilt,mine is dated not sure have to look but 1800s.

• nyboy
    12 years ago

Spode in Greek pattern. Dishwasher safe pieces I use every day. Old pieces are for display maybe use at holiday time or company.

• oldstuff4me
    12 years ago

I haven't been at it long... but so far, my interests are...
    - pink depression glass (Old Colony and Fortune)
    - almost any uranium glass
    - Haviland China pattern "Georgia" (that's my daughter's name, so I'm collecting for her)
    - tea cups & saucers (any pattern that has a wide band of colour around the edge... as the example in the photo below)

{{gwi:1388839}}

• patty_cakes
    12 years ago

I went from collector to seller. I enjoyed all the various collections, but they were taking up too much space, or packed in boxes and never brought out to enjoy. By selling, i'm making others happy, and still get to look(until a piece sells!)at them in my space at the antique mall. ;o)

• Debra Vessels
    12 years ago

This is a great thread. We all love what we collect and isn't it wonderful that most of us collect something different? I collect blue and white Staffordshire Transferware from England, early to mid 1800's. I have over 100 Cup Plates, a little more or less than 4" diameter. They were used as a coaster with the handless cups with bowl shape saucer of 6" from the 1820-1850 period. Often confused with a child's plate from a toy tea set. I also have many patterns of dinner ware pieces of a specific potter E. & G Phillips, Longport England. American butter stamps, butter churns and English cream pots with dairy names stamped or transfered on the pot and numerous other things too many to list. I am just addicted to antiques and collectibles. I also clean and repair and resale and upgrade my English china. So my life is a constant buy, clean, repair, resale, collect more upgrade..etc. I tell my husband I am recycling and being green! I love,love, love what I do. I cannot imagine not ever being able to buy and also resale to share my knowlegde. I also have an extensive library of reference books and love researching everything.

• lazypup
    12 years ago

I have another collection that would probably not be of much interest to most ppl. I collect Asahi Pentax, Honeywell Pentax & Pentax 35mm film SLR's and accessories whether they are working or not.

Over the years Pentax has stayed on the cutting edge of photo technology and they were the first company to introduce most of the innovations that we take for granted today, such as eye level through the lens viewing, built in light meters, auto exposure controls and auto focus.

I have collected most of my cameras, lenses & accessories at yard sales & tag sales. Generally I show up carrying my Pentax digital and someone will say,,wow,,I have an old Pentax too, but we don't use it anymore. Its amazing what ppl have in their closets that they have nearly forgotten about.

• ccoombs1
    12 years ago

I just LOVE old utilitarian pottery from North and South Carolina. The I love crocks, jars, cream risers and churns. They have to have great glaze though....green, runny, drippy, speckled, etc. Here's a few of my favorites.

• bulldinkie
    12 years ago

I have a 1700 farmhouse my biggest antique,but in generalall antiques because they go so well with our house,I have furniture,I collect crocks,milk cans I have about 40 from 5gal down to 1/2 pint,oilers over 600,tobacco tins,little big books,owls,stamps,miniatures,hess trucks,perfume bottles,dishes depressionware pink,green cherry blossom pattern,anybody have any dishes to match,Im looking for more.

• bulldinkie
    12 years ago

Hey girl how are you???

• Rudebekia
    12 years ago

Great thread! I collect 50s-60s era small sized Steiff animals. Got my first around the age of 2, and have since located many on ebay.

• sam_md
    12 years ago

Here's some of my redware collection. Redware is made from clay that turns brick red when fired. Slip glaze can be several colors and decorated with contrasting color. Redware is never glazed on the bottom, sometimes it is only glazed on the inside. Posters here love to ask for makers name, usually the antique redware is not marked so we don't know maker's name. Redware history goes back to the colonial era, I like it because it is plain, not frilly, folksey and highly collectable. I especially seek out pieces with their original lids and NO CRACKS.

• newdawn1895
    12 years ago

I am starting to collect Mulberry tranferware and getting rid of the blue. I have quite a bit of white Ironstone that I like.

Also, I love to collect seashells especially big old ones.

• frankc
    11 years ago

Great site. I collect Occupied Japan pieces,getting more scarce,like everthing else.
    fRANK