SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_2754028

"Hand wash only" for everyday dishes, really?

User
9 years ago

My kitchen is finished, and I am shopping for a new set of everyday dishes. All these years I've just bought white-whatever so that as things broke I could get something else in white-whatever and it would blend. That plan worked great for us with 4 kids, dozens of family over here all the time, it was a low-maintenance way to go.

But now I'm shopping for new, prettier, everyday dishes. I have some glass-front cabinets where these are going to live. I want fun, casual colors: orange, blue, green, etc. I bought a few sets of Fiesta and it just wasn't right, returned. I even bought a set of Lenox China "Chirp," it was so pretty but too expensive and too fine for everyday, but it looked pretty in the cabinets, returned.

I thought I hit the nail on the head when I bought several pieces of Martha Stewart Poppy Mix collection - with the cutest orange pasta bowls.

I put them in the cabinet and all the family decided that was the exact look and function we were going for. The plates and bowls were just right for our everyday meals, especially the pasta bowls (which are the perfect shape for Coq au Vin).

Oops, started taking the stickers off to put them in the dishwasher, and "HAND WASH ONLY" is printed on the bottom. Must have missed that before, my bad, but really? Who in the world do these manufacturers think they are producing products for? We are a busy family. I hand wash my Grandmother's unique and gorgeous china, my Scan Pans, knives, wooden things, but no way for everyday dishes. I should have checked more carefully I know, but I think it's outdated to require hand wash for everyday things. People have dishwashers for goodness sake. Unfortunately, even though the collection is adorable, I have to return them.

Still looking around for the right set.

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals