SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flynnnj

My dream is being tweaked a little by reality!

flynnnj
12 years ago

I just signed the contract for my new kitchen and the information from GW has been invaluable.

2 uppers: 33" wide-15" deep R/L of stove & OTR micro

1 upper: 36" wide-18" deep; R of refrig to look built-in

1 upper: 15" wide, 15" deep; above super susan corner

2 base: 33" wide, 3 drawers; L of stove; R of refrig

1 base: 15" wide, 4 drawers; R of stove

1 base: 15" trash pullout; R of dishwasher

1 base: Super Susan; L of sink

1 base: 24" sink base with deep stainless 'D' sink

Without room for a traditional pantry I'm hoping that the deeper cabinets will really help out.

Due to the floor plan and staying in footprint, I agree and recognize that the best place for the microwave is above the gas stove... I tried so many different configurations but it's really the best use for my limited space and most economical.

I need your help with choosing more mainstream appliances than I had been dreaming about.

I've budgeted $2500-3500 for stainless OTR micro, gas stove and DW and hope that will be enough. Since property values have fallen ... and fallen... everyone, from real estate agents to kitchen design people, all agree not to over-improve. The townhouses with nicer kitchens will sell faster but are still priced way below value.

The KA KUDC10FXSS dishwasher looked good. Reliability and how it cleans matters more than the noise factor since it's usually run at night or before work.

The gas stove needs a warming or storage drawer to hold pots and pans and I really want a slide-in or the look of a slide-in. Good-by Berta (too small & no bottom drawer) and NXR - no drawer and output too high for OTR.

My brother has a new electric Frigidaire professional and has been happy with it. I like the looks of the GE Cafe and the 5th burner/griddle. I saw the Kitchen Aide with the wok feature and that looked interesting, too.

THEN - I started to read reviews and now I am thoroughly overwhelmed and confused and NEED YOUR HELP!!! For every positive post there are double the amount of negative ones.

The kitchen should be ready for installation by the first or second week in March so I need to find and order my appliances.

When I did my last kitchen back in 1987 it was so easy. I walked into the local store to an owner I trusted. I picked out the KA dishwasher, the Thermador cooktop with the griddle, and the double GE wall oven. Not too many items on display, I wasn't worried about matching brands, there wasn't any internet to research, and no major appliance store within easy traveling distance. Those 1987 appliances looked as good as new when I sold the house in 2008!

Having an OTR microwave is a livable compromise and I know that once everything in my kitchen is done and I've chosen dependable appliances I will be happy and ready to celebrate. Then I'll bake a cake in my new oven, have a pot of soup cooking on the stove and you're all invited!

Comments (6)