SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jbrown2020

Painting Interior Trim - Please help me!

jbrown2020
12 years ago

Hi, We just moved into a new house, well a house built in 1990, but it is new to us. We wanted to do a little bit of minor reno - scrape popcorn ceilings and paint the stained pine trim white and it has been far more than "a little bit" of work. We seem to have the ceilings mastered, or at least as good as we are capable of. I am quite pleased with the look after they have been primed. BUT.. our trim is another story. It is not nice wood trim, so I do not feel guilty painting over it, it was just whatever was cheap in the 90's. I am afraid I am going to completely ruin our house with my attempt at trim painting. I started with a spare bathroom that has basebaords and a chair rail. Here are my steps:

1. Wipe down with TSP

2. Rinse off TSP with warm water and rag

3. Fill in nail holes with plastic wood filler

4. Sand with fine grit sanding pad - it is like a sponge, but much thinner. I feel like I can get into the grooves of the chair rail better with that then a sponge.

5. wipe down with tack cloth/cheese cloth - basically remove all dust

6. Prime - I am using BM Fresh Start Alkyd Enamel Underbody

7. Sand lightly after priming

8. Caulk with DAP 230 or something like that (can't remember the name)

9. Likely 2nd coat of primer

1. Very lightly sand before paint
  2. Paint - likely 2 coats. We are planning on BM satin impervo oil based in a white that is yet to be decided. The availability of over 100 whites has me pretty confused.

I have currently made it to the first coat of primer and it looks AWFUL. I have faith in my ability to clean with tsp, fill nail holes, and sand, but my priming is terrible. I want the final product to not have brush strokes. I am using a $30 brush recommended at the BM store. It isn't a Purdy but it is supposed to be a Purdy's "older and wiser brother." Am I freaking out too early? Should I just finish the steps and see what happens. Is primer going to show brush stroke no matter what? It definitely needs a 2nd coat of primer because the wood is showing through. Is it even possible to get a smooth finish on painted trim like this. I grew up in a house that must have had everything sprayed by a professional, because it looks WAY better than my bathroom currently looks. Thank, you all in advance for hour help and suggestions. The best suggestion may be to hire a pro, but I can't afford it (I got multple quotes)so I need to figure this out on my own. Thanks!

Comments (8)