SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2littlefishies

Overlay/Inset Cabs: Help me Sort these pics out PLEASE!

2LittleFishies
12 years ago

OK. I know the difference between inset and overlay in the broad sense.. Partial overlay not so sure but I think the drawers and doors just are smaller looking and you can see the surrounding area. I don't know the terms very well.

Framless and framed also confuses me a little but I know my cabinet guy quoted me for framless.

Is this partial overlay (or full)?

A)

Our old kitchen cabinets: What are these? Full overlay I know but in the corner it looks inset?

B:

C:

SO, my custom cabinet guy says his overlay cabinets have the look of inset (kind of). I think he puts filler in between so that the doors and drawers, lets say, aren't right next to each other. Here is one of his pics but I don't know if it shows what he's talking about.

D:

Of course, I'll have him show me again exactly what he's talking about. He did show me at someone else's house but now I'm not so sure what I was looking at. I have a feeling he means something like this: These are full overlay with filler, right? It makes them look a bit more inset, right? (if that makes any sense) What do you think about this? The desk drawers look inset- are they? But the uppers & drawers on the right are overlay, right?

E:

I saw this on another site which said full overlay filler:

F:

By the way, we planned on doing overlay on the bottom to save money and supposedly you get more space in the drawers... and inset on the top to give more of the look we're after and we won't have that many uppers. I guess like these:

G:

H:

Now these full overlay look very different from each other. (I and J) One has no spaces in between and the other does. What's going on here?

I:

J:

Are these 2 the very definition of full overlay?

K:

L:

Thanks for your help. It's quite possible I am wrong in some of these classifications!

Comments (7)