SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sonepi

Unusual Fireplace Stumping Redecorating Efforts. HELP!

sonepi
15 years ago

We have been trying to redecorate around this FP for years. This is my Mom's house who lives in another state. The house is a tri-level and was built in 1960. The LR where FP is located is on the lower level. It has a raised hearth with curved areas on both sides. The hearth takes up the entire corner and the wall that leads into the kitchen. We've thought of taking out the side hearths, painting the bricks and keeping the hearth for sitting on (which is what's done when having lots of company). We're trying to update the look though and are finding it very challenging. The FP started as wood-burning, then was converted to gas. It is the first thing you see when you enter the house and start down the stairs.

Mom would like a more updated, transitional, clean line look for her traditional home. She realizes she has too much clutter. She likes having the FP in the living room and said it would be too expensive to tear the entire thing out and do something else. Because it is on the lower level, like many old homes, there is no overhead lighting, just lamps. As you can see, her furniture is outdated. I was thinking a large sectional in the corner where TV armoire currently resides and a couple of additional chairs to kind of keep the FP as the focal point.

Any suggestions and/or layouts would be greatly appreciated. She is 74 years old and has a limited budget, but I will be helping her with some purchases. Thanks.

FP view when entering home - HTML

FP view from inside room

FP Window wall

LR Â view into room

LR Â Wall by the stairs.

Thinking put TV on this wall, whether flat screen on wall or on stand w/components.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus