SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
otherdingo

Ideas to make bathrooms less gray

otherdingo
29 days ago

Hi! I'm brainstorming ideas for how to make these two bathrooms look less generic, sad, and gray. We are going for an airy, Scandi/mid-century vibe for the rest of the home (e.g. light natural white oak floors, white walls, dark wood furniture, turkish rugs, neutral beiges/grays/whites for linens with the occasional pop of warm tones such as terracotta/ochre/etc).

The bathrooms are definitely *not* our vibe right now. A gut reno is not in the cards at the moment, so I'm trying to come up with lower-intervention ideas for improvement while keeping the existing tile. Here's my list of things we *could* do but I'm not sure what to *actually* do in each category. Let me know what you think and what other suggestions you have :)

1. Paint the walls above the tile. We always have been white wall people, so we are kind of scared to do this and don't really know what color to go for. Maybe a rich dark green would be interesting in the bath with the white tile walls? No idea what to do in the bath with the gray tile walls. Or we could just keep it white and maybe the other changes would be enough?
  2. Change light fixture above medicine cabinet. No idea what to go for here, except I think it should be larger to balance the giant medicine cabinet.
  3. Swap out medicine cabinet for something more modern, like this one from West Elm. The existing ones aren't THAT bad and they're in pretty decent condition, so it feels a bit wasteful to do this.
  4. Add wood floating shelves or standing shelf above the toilets.
  5. Add artwork/decor/bath rug in front of sink with richer warm tones.
  6. Swap out gray lacquer vanities for something in a natural wood tone. This is definitely a lot more work than the other ideas, but hopefully shouldn't be *too* hard since we wouldn't have to touch the faucets.

Bathroom 1 (white tile on walls):

Bathroom 2 (gray tile on walls):

Comments (9)

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company