SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elizabeth_l_royal

Need help figuring out how to make my house feel less "busy"

Elizabeth R
3 years ago

My husband and I live in a 1920's bungalow with kind of a boxy floor plan. One of the major challenges we're experiencing is that the house feels really "busy." We have this issue even without the Christmas decor up!

Our dream interior is the Interior of the Lambert-Dickson House (https://circaoldhouses.com/property/the-lambert-dickson-house/#prettyPhoto) which we realize has an entirely different architectural style.

When we talked about the house, we both decided we loved the blend of modern/antique and also that the house didn't feel too busy.

Obviously, we know the house we love is staged and all signs of life are gone, but what changes would you make to our house to create a similar effect? I've posted photos of the main rooms we'd like to change up. Please be gentle :) This is the first time I've tried to be deliberate about our home - mostly we just have gathered things we liked and put them in where it made sense to us.

So far, we've decided to:

- Change sconces next to our fireplace (we went with these: https://rh.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod1870666&categoryId=cat3900077)

- Change the fixture above our dining table (We went with this: https://rh.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod2990036)

- Paint the Living Room/Dining Room walls a brighter white. The white we have up is very grey-blue and actually rather dingy and the house is due for a repaint.

- Change to 4000K light bulbs for more of a whiter light (we have orangy edison bulbs that came with the fixtures right now)

- Take down the waffle shades that came with the house and put up curtains that hang higher and pool on the floor near our picture rail

- Start looking for an old oil painting we like that we can put above the fireplace

- Refresh (somehow - thoughts on this?) the two MCM chairs. Right now I have a scrap of dark blue velvet wrapped around one cushion just to test out how it works.

Our limitations:

- We are very, very hesitant to paint any of the woodwork. It's all gorgeous quarter sawn oak and has a lovely patina from a hundred years of being lived with.

- There's a lot of "built in" features like stained glass windows, leaded glass doors, and the giant fireplace/surround that are not going anywhere. Every room has doors and windows galore.

- We have two dogs, a cat, and a baby so things need to be durable and not too precious that they cant handle dog fur or baby drool

- The "Side rooms" of our house (front hall, bedrooms, kitchen, sunroom that's more an office) are all painted w/ F&B paint and we love the colors. We really don't want to change those room's colors - basically we'd want our living/dining/upper hall and stairwell to feel calm, stark, and curated that while leaving the side rooms alone but just edit them to make then feel less cluttered. All of the rooms that are painted can be "closed off" from the main living space.

Comments (23)