SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnnm

Help! Ideas Needed On How To Keep My Dobie Busy & Out Of Mischief

LynnNM
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Our recently adopted 3 y/o Doberman, Knight has a funny, endearing, but somewhat worrisome habit. I'm thinking that it's mainly when he gets bored and/or when I/we are gone from the house. Our Tibetan Spaniel is always here with him, so he does have her company. I also keep the tv on low for them.

Anyhoo, Knight trolls the house, gathering up soft things of mine, DH's and Sasha's, bringing them out to our front foyer. Thankfully, he doesn't chew or eat them, just spreads them around where he plops down in the foyer. Anything is fair game, from our tee shirts, PJs, socks, my bras, DH's baseball-type golf hats, Sasha's stuffed toys, her entire bed (she's only 11-pounds, so the bed is small), her blanket, our hand towels off the bathroom counter, etc. I left my sock drawer open the other day and Knight emptied it.

He's a good boy, and smart. He's bonded with me and with DH and we love him. but I'm at my wit's end for things to keep him busy while he's in the house. We take him for walks every day, but this is obviously not enough.

Leaving him outside is not an option. Although we did not get him to be a watchdog, being a large Doberman, he will keep most burglars out of our home and that's important to me. Our art collection, my jewelry and Sasha, who is a rare white Tibetan Spaniel are things I would hate to lose, especially my darling Sasha. We have a dog door, but it is from our attached garage into a large, double-walled dog run. We are not able, per our insurance company, to put another dog door between the laundry room and garage for fire safety reasons. Our properties here are all several acres each and covenants do not allow us to fence it in. We have a small walled garden, but it's accessed by a glass door, with no dog door. Our home is fairly large, all brick floors and one story with long areas that Knight loves to run through. He's high energy! So, that's the situation.

I've tried getting him interested in a tug toy. He's not interested. I've tried getting him to play Fetch. He's not interested. He does like his weekly bone and hoards his stash of them, chewing on them a lot. I've given him Nylabones and other chew toys. No interest. He does enjoy his feeder cube dog toy that dribbles out kibble as he swats it around. But that gets old after a while. Since he seems to favor soft items, I've bought him 3 stuffed animal dog toys. Two of which have my scent, having rubbed them over my hair and arms. DH did the same with the third. I now leave them around our bedroom and he eventually hauls them out to the foyer every day with him. (edited to add that I let him think that these are our stuffed animals). This afternoon he hauled out Sasha's bed twice. And one of DH's caps . . . and I was here, right next to the foyer, in the study working!

I would love to hear any ideas to keep Knight's busy mind occupied a bit more. Do you think that this might be a precursor to a full-blown separation anxiety issue? Thanks!

"Who me??? Noooo, Sasha did this!".

And here's Froggy and one of Dad's golf caps. Hmmm, Dad does NOT appreciate slobber all over his hats (LOL)!

Comments (26)