SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
just_pete

Craftsman/Poulan blower won't start ... unusual problem.

just_pete
13 years ago

Hi all, first post, thanks in advance for anyone that can help give me an idea what to do next with this blower.

I've tried everything to get this, like new, Poulan made Craftsman blower started. It's just out of warranty, but looks like I bought it last week.

It began with a dry corn husk being sucked into the vac that wound up around the impeller and bogged out the motor.

It was too tight to get the unit restarted, so I took it apart, removed the husk, reassembled and pulled the start cord. It started, ran for about 5secs and I've been unable to get it started since.

Since then I've done the following:

Checked spark with gap tester: GOOD

Checked plug: though in descent condition, replaced with new

Visually inspected cylinder and piston: Ring was stuck slightly on exhaust port side: Replaced with new piston and ring.

Checked compression: 3pulls/100psi (enough to start and run)

Checked carburetor: siphons gas, lines all flexible and sealed.

Completely dismantled unit and checked flywheel for timing and key damage: good, no damage.

Removed flywheel and checked bearing seals: Like new, no leak evident or shaft wobble.

Checked kill switch operation: good

Changed fuel and checked fuel filter: good.

Check for any seal leaks piston-crank case or other: Good

Check exhaust for clogging: good

Check fuel delivery: After a few pulls, pull plug, electrode slightly damp, but not fouled. Good.

I'm at a loss here. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Normally I'd have had this thing running in minutes, but I can't find anything wrong with it.

What's they do? Make these things with a secret failure in them so you'd have to spend more money? I've got 20year old garden machines that run better. Heck ... they still run!

Thanks for any help

Pete

Comments (33)