SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laburr

Craftsman 20HP Mower won't start

laburr
15 years ago

I have a 7 yr old Craftsman lawn tractor that won't start. The model number is 917.273060 and it has a Kohler 20hp engine.

I own 5 acres, so this tractor gets quite a workout during mowing season. I've never had any problems with it, always starting right up without hesitation ...until now. I mowed for a couple of hours the other day without anything unusual happening. The next day I tried to start it and all I heard was a slight grinding noise and a hum. I figured the battery, the solenoid, and the starter were the first things to check.

To be honest, I didn't really know how to test them, so I looked on the internet and tried a few suggestions. I hooked the battery up to the starter with jumper cables and I heard the same grind and hum. Then I connected the starter to my truck battery, same thing. So I deduced the battery is fine and the starter is bad. I ordered a new one, put it on and no change.

As I said, I'm a novice, but it appears that the starter moves up and engages the flywheel, then nothing else happens, except a hum. The flywheel doesn't move and the starter doesn't disengage until I manually turn the flywheel. The flywheel turns freely by hand. I don't know what any of this means. And I don't know what to try. The only thing I know is that my grass is growing fast and the wait at the local repair shop is way too long. Please help, I'll try anything.

Comments (18)

Sponsored