SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tarheel72

Craftsman mower, Honda 5.5 engine. Won't start.

tarheel72
12 years ago

After years of using a lawn service I have recently decided to start mowing my own yard. I purchased a three year old mower from someone who had not used it in two years. It appears in good shape and was stored with the gas tank empty but the oil was left in. I drained and filled with new oil, installed a new spark plug, and filled with fresh gas. The air filter looked clean but I did blow it out with compressed air and reinstall it. It will not start.

I use the choke on the side, and also I am sure the fuel selector is set to ON. The cable from the operator bar seems to be working fine. I have not yet pulled the cover from the engine. I am thinking that maybe it is some old fuel that has gummed up the lines? I also washed it off with a hose, so maybe I got some water in the carb? One other thing is I found a round piece of wire mesh, about two inches across, at the bottom of my driveway after I got through washing the mower. I am not sure if it came off the mower or not, but I do not see any place for it nor could I find it listed in the manual. Is this part of the mower and could it be part of my problem? Thanks for the help.

The engine is the Honda 5.5 HP, the mower is the 917.376690 21 inch version.

Comments (12)