SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nomorecoop

Help! Craftsman mower won't start Mystery!!!

nomorecoop
9 years ago

Hello,

I have an older model Craftsman lawnmower that will not start. Turning the key gives nothing. No click or anything.

Here's what I have done.

At the ignition wire at the solenoid, when turning the key I have 12v with clutch/brake depressed and blade off.

If I release the clutch/brake, I get no voltage which indicates the switch is working properly.

If I engage the blade, voltage drops to 0 as well, so that switch is good. Same with the seat safety switch, so I assume all switches are functioning properly.

Solenoid is brand new. If I cross the positive posts at the top of the solenoid, the mower starts.

If I direct wire the battery to the ignition post on the solenoid, the mower starts.

Have spot checked grounds, and they appear good with OHM. Even ran a new temp ground from solenoid to frame.

What is puzzling me is that when turning the key, I get the necessary 12v on the ignition wire on the solenoid, when attempting to start, but I get nothing. When I wire directly from the battery to the ignition wire post, again, I get 12 volts, but it does not turn over, so that indicates to me the battery/solenoid/starter are functioning properly.

Please help solve this mystery as I am almost out of ideas.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
More Discussions