SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dreamindecor

I’m repainting - What should I do with my fireplace?

dreamindecor
6 years ago

As part of a redecorating project, I am repainting the whole downstairs in an effort to lighten up the whole look.

Currently the fireplace wall and fireplace in the family room have a faux-finish. But all the walls will be repainted to a lighter color. What should I do with the fireplace? Nothing? Paint it darker? Lighter? Tile it? Not sure I’d necessarily call it the main ‘feature’ in the room, when the big, heavy entertainment center kind of dominates things (replacing that in Phase 2).

Stack stone veneer is big here in Phoenix, but I’m concerned that it might be too heavy a look, especially since I’m wanting to move towards a lighter feel.

In this phase, I am replacing the valances/blinds with plantation shutters in Dunn Edwards Swiss Coffee (matching the ceiling, baseboards and trim). I replaced the dark rug with a lighter cream one with pops of indigo, brick red, tan and grey; the sofa is being replaced with a more updated leather sofa. The love seat will be replaced with two chairs (thanks to Houzzers’ advice) – I haven’t started looking yet. The console table will go away.

Currently the fireplace wall and fireplace in the family room have a faux-finish. But the walls will be repainted to a lighter color. What should I do with the fireplace? Nothing? Paint it darker? Lighter? Tile it? Not sure I’d necessarily call it the main ‘feature’ in the room, when the big, heavy entertainment center kind of dominates things (replacing that in Phase 2).

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Here are a couple of pics of how it used to look (note - also part of the redecor process is a new pendant for the kitchen table, replacing the fan over the island with two pendants, replacing the valances/blinds in the bay window with roman shades.

Phase 2 will replace the entertainment center with a smaller console and putting the TV on the wall.

Lots of Western windows on the left bring in good light.

With the molding on this cast concrete fireplace, I'm not sure if it even CAN be tiled over.

You can kind of see the paint samples on the wall. Not very well - they are lighter than they show here.

Had a fire tonight - you can see the samples on the West wall better.

Comments (16)