SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jillius18

How do I phrase what I'm looking for, and where should I look for it?

Jillius
2 years ago

Hi,
I have never dealt with windows before and am at a loss where to start.
My husband and I just bought a fixer upper with original 1974 windows and sliding glass doors. The main feature of the house is this huge wall of windows in the living/dining room.
In this wall, the current frames are aluminum, and I have been told the glass is single-pane windows but I can't tell that myself looking at them because I don't know anything about windows.
There are two sliding glass doors in our wall of windows, and they both leak and are not great to operate (they get stuck, jump off the track, and generally resist you). Also, the house is always cold, and it has been suggested that a big culprit for that heat loss is this wall of windows.
All of these issues are leading us to think maybe we need to replace these windows.
A lot of our neighbors have the same or similar house (our whole neighborhood was built by the same developer at the same time) and have already replaced their window walls. Having seen their homes, I want to avoid what a lot of them ended up with, which is big fat frames.
I don't know what to call that, but they now have less glass overall and fatter lines between the glass panels. The effect when I walk in their homes is that I notice the outdoors less than when I walk into our home. In their homes, my eye is drawn to the graphic, fat frames first. And their wall of windows feel more...solid? More of a barrier? In their homes, I don't feel as if the outdoors is just a natural, seamless extension of the home. The outdoors feels more separate.
Whereas in our house now with the original windows, your eye goes straight out to the backyard first, and the sense of indoor-outdoor continuation is very strong. I do want to feel as if I'm practically outside when I'm in my home. Ideally, your eye would not really notice our window frames at all and just go straight to noticing the backyard.
Questions:
1) Do you agree the windows need to be replaced, or is there some way to repair them?
2) If replacement makes the most sense, how do I phrase "I would like as much glass and as little frames/lines as possible" in normal industry terms that a manufacturer or installer would grasp?
3) If replacement makes the most sense, would you suggest any changes to the arrangement of glass panels and doors in this wall? We have not lived in the house yet (dealing with rats, termites, and moisture first), so it's tough to anticipate if the current door placement is ideal. And if I can eliminate any frame lines or needless complications/expenses in the design, I would like to.

Comments (16)